Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Need advice on whether to have fusion surgery - Please please help!

I am advised to get a l5 s1 fusion. The scans showing l5 bilateral pars defect. Mild disc bulge and mild foraminal narrowing and mild anterolethesis. I guess its considered "stable" since there is no movement on flexion films.

These findings seem "mild." But I've suffered with variety of symptoms for years with increasing flares that include all kinds of leg stiffness, feet tingling, hard to walk fast and keep up, and back stiffness and pain. Had various injections and recently did some ablation procedure. I'm 40. Symptoms for over 10 years have continued to worsen.

How do I know if the fusion surgery will actually address my symptoms? Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Part of me thinks the surgery is a good idea because it seems likely that I will get long term stability in the spine to prevent worsening. But, usually I read about fusion for spondylothesis that is severe, not just for the pars defect with mild findings.

Please help me make this decision! Thanks.
-nox123
advertisement

Comments

• I had a fusion at L5 S1 April 28th of this year. If I was you I would have the fusion now. Why wait until you have nerve damage that can not be reversed? You have already had problems and you say the symptoms have worsened. Some people have a hard time with this surgery maybe I was one of the reasonably luck ones. I did not find the operation particularily painful apart from when I came round from the operation. I have been off pain killers since 6 weeks. My main problem is leg weakness which I feel is because by the time I had my operation I could hardly walk. I am nearly 60 so a lot older than you. I am sure other people would advise differently.
    jill55