After suffering from acute sciatica for over a year, was given an MRI scan and diagnosed with a slipped disc (L3). The pain has now subsided considerably and now only causes a problem if I stand for long periods. However, I have still been advised by the consultant to go ahead with a discectomy. Am somewhat nervous about this procedure and wonder if I should try and postpone surgery and try alternative therapies, e.g. pilates. Would appreciate any advice.
Moderator Input - Ron DiLauro, Spine-Health System Moderator 07/21/15
Why we can not provide any advice when it comes to surgery
- No one here is medically qualified to provide such answers
- That decision is personal and needs to be decided upon with yourself, your family and your doctor
- We only see a small pinhole of your exact medical situation. Decisions on surgery need details
- What may sound like a candidate for surgery, in reality may not be.
- There are many factors that go into the decision to have surgery
- What works for you , may be serious trouble for another
Anytime , anyone is faced with spinal surgery, you should always get a second opinion. You want to have at least two doctors that agree with your condition and agree with the treatment plan. There are time when you have two doctors that disagree with the action, then I would always recommend seeking a third opinion.
So, please let us all do ourselves a favor. When you make a thread or post, Do Not Ask if you should have surgery