In the past several months we have seen more members asking if they should have surgery based on the information they provide in their initial thread.
I think most seasoned members here realize that that is something we just cant do. For several reasons
- No one here is medically qualified to provide such answers
- That decision is personal and needs to be decided upon with yourself, your family and your doctor
- We only see a small pinhole of your exact medical situation. Decisions on surgery need details
- What may sound like a candidate for surgery, in reality may not be.
- There are many factors that go into the decision to have surgery
- What works for you , may be serious trouble for another
Anytime , anyone is faced with spinal surgery, you should always get a second opinion. You want to have at least two doctors that agree with your condition and agree with the treatment plan. There are time when you have two doctors that disagree with the action, then I would always recommend seeking a third opinion.
I was just getting my hair cut yesterday and the woman was telling me about her painful hips. She went to see one doctor who told her that surgery is needed ASAP. She went for another opinion, this doctor told her, surgery was not the answer, but a steroid injection would help. That was 3 years ago and her hip has been fine since.
So, please let us all do ourselves a favor. When you make a thread or post, Do Not Ask if you should have surgery
Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences