Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

SI joint problems

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Lower Back Pain
Does any one have any answers for me? I have had 4 SI joint injections since November, I take 600mg Gabapentin a day, 2 300 mg Etodalac 2x a day, 1-2 50mg tramadol up to 3x a day (which by the way I can't take that many a day and not itch myself to death) and my leg where it connects into my hip joint hurts when I walk,sit,lay on my left side or stand for long periods of time. I've had pt and I just don't know anymore. I just had my 4th shot today. My back stays sore like all the time but I think I could tolerate it if my leg was not so bad. The doctor says my L5 has degenerated but he doesn't feel that's the problem. I need to know if I am crazy or what. Please help. The shots seem to help my back but not my leg.

• The injections are not a fix all. You need to do PT in conjunction with the injections. You may want to check into getting fitted for an SI belt also.

• I have SI Joint issues too. PLus a ton of back stuff. I cannot get out of pain enough to let the PT help. I cant do those damn exercises. I may need surgery on my back so I can eventually work on the SI joint problem later. Hard to do SI joint exercises when your lower back kills you. it just aggravates my back. I am quitting PT after going since April. Enough already. I am worse.
  • I don't recognize the name of some of the meds you're on, but if you're not taking anti-inflammatories, it might be worth trying a strong one for a few weeks to see if it helps. I was just diagnosed with some sort of spondylitis, and my SI joints were where my WORST pain was, along with the hips, my knees and my shoulder joints.

Good luck!

• is one of the best things ever for SI Joint. I have bilateral with inguinal nerve and oseitis involvement. Every Doc I see including my INJECTIONS doc says: WATER WALK....THERE'S NOTHING BETTER YOU CAN DO. I'm trying to emphasize.......if I don't go for a day or to I can tell it big time. It's like ahhhhhhhhhh, and feels like it really gets stronger and lines up.

Another thing I do is hang my legs off the bed for a few minutes...you may or may not be able to do this. I have to do one leg at a time sometimes.

The other thing is to lie on floor flat....pull knees up and gently sway knees HELD TOGEHTER back a forth just a tad.

These are some things that have helped me along with MSM with glucosamine. Make sure you have right shoes on.......I find that's a bigee too.

Hope this helps a little.......GET IN THE WATER AND WALK.....builds your CORE like nothing else.
  • The way I understand it is either your SI joint is too tight or too lose. PT/Chiro to help stretch can help if it is tight. If is is too lose, then an SI belt can help. You basically wear this belt around your hips (must fit properly and you have to wear it all day). What it does is close in this joint space and allow scar tissue to build up and that way the joint tightens up. That was my problem after having children and I swear it helps. I also agree about the core building exercises, a great PT does wonders.
    I also read about something called prolotherapy(spelling?)where they inject the joint and it causes the body to build up the scar tissue quickly. Anyone here have any experience?
  • Thanks for all you comments. Yes I am on two anti-inflamatory med/pain. I also have four children who were delivered by c-section and then I was cut again in the same scar for a complete hysterectomy. I've always wondered if those things have anything to do with my leg,back, and hip problems. Thanks again for your ideas,it helps to know that you are not alone.
  • I've done several bouts of prolotherapy and had great results with stabilizing my pelvis and spine, as well as relief from unending rhomboid pain (I'd suffered from that for about 15 years!).

If anybody would like any info, feel free to PM me.

• I will pass on the cd $150.00 ,ouch....
  • I've suffered with SI pain for the past 4 years. I was in the hospital for MINOR surgery and was dropped on my butt during transfer from surgery to recovery. My tailbone was snapped off at the sacrum and dislocated up into my body...now THAT'S pain! I was literally bed ridden....any movement at all was excruciating. After 6 months of hell and in a Morphine haze, I finally found a neurosurgeon to remove my tailbone. INSTANT relief.....thank God. But since the really horrible pain was gone, I became aware of pain in the right SI. Apparently it was knocked loose (moves too much)in the accident. PT didn't work because the more I move the more I hurt. Have had 6 or 7 cortizone injections (flouriscopes). Longest relief with that has been 6 months. When it wears off, I start to ache again if I stand or sit for too long. Have tried every anti-inflamitory known to man, SI belts, you name it. The last few injections haven't helped much at all so I'm searching again for a fix. Anyone heard of a way to stabilize the SI? I'm told plating the bone was tried, but drilling into the bone for screws ended up doing more harm than good. I'm considering Super Glue. Ideas?!?!
  • Wow! CW! My heart and prayers go out to you. I can't believe that. I really feel for you.

I have the same symptoms from SI pain. Both sides hurt, but my left side is the worst. What drives me crazy is the pain killers don't seem to help much for this type of pain. I went to a PT that was supposedly good for SI patients. I think he was good at helping people that were in accidents. It doesn't seem like anyone is good at helping SI pain with fusion patients.

I am a very firm believer in Richard DonTigny's work. I have many of his reports and exercises. I read them every few months to keep his information in my mind. I emailed him for therapists he trained in St. Louis, but could not track any of them down. I do get a little pain relief from several of his stretches and exercises. I have not found any recommendations from him for people with lumbar fusion and we all know us fusers are different.

I have tried all sorts of things like everyone else to fix the SI pain. Right now I am doing prolo therapy shots into the lumbar area. I get three on each side. The theory is that the sugar solution irritates the tendons/ligaments. The area gets very inflamed. As the body fights back the inflammation it is supposed to make the area stronger. The research for it helping back pain is mixed. Most of what I read was a 50/50 chance for helping. I get the shots every 3 weeks. I hurt like hell for about 5 days. Next week I will get number 7 and I am planning for 10-12. So far I don't see any benefit. I am hoping it will help and if it does I will surely post it on the boards.

This discussion has been closed.