Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

my experience

jsendrejjsendre Posts: 4
edited 07/21/2015 - 9:40 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Spine surgery ruined my life. My outcome is actually considered successful. This whole spine surgery crap is xxx. I have been chopped up and left for dead. Everyone made out but me. I'm stuck with pain and extremely limited rom in my left shoulder. My left arm is dwindleibg away. Just the weight of my arm pulls on my neck and scap. But according to 5 doctors im fine. Non union but fine. No limitations at all. I'm unable to do anything including g work but I don't qualify for disability. I had everything and now I have nothing. I'm 34 years old. This all started at 31. All I'm saying is if you are not dying from spine pain don't do surgery. I wish someone told me. I thought if I had issues I had safety nets. Boy was I wrong. Just my experience . wish I never even went to a doctor. I used to be a weightlifter and now I can't even jog. I could jog and do things and was strong before surgery but now I can't I have more different pain and I'm completely weak I've lost 35 lbs and its been 1 1/2 years since my surgery and 3 years since this all started and I just can't take it anymore. Society is horrible and no one should get screwed like this.

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,868
    But it is up to the individual to make the best of the situation.

Yes, there is pain, discomfort and bouts of depression. That is somewhat normal for spinal patients.

I can read from your thread that you are looking at the dark side of all of this. I am not going to say there is going to be a beaming glowing light ahead, but I can tell you that as long as you view the dark side, the dark side will remain and win.

Only you can control this. If you can not do it by yourself, I would suggest seeing a counselor or someone that understands chronic pain and its impact on individuals. We have thousands of members here who have had multiple surgeries, some failures, etc... but they do what they need to do to remain positive and look forward to each new day
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,476
    You're feelings of helplessness can be understandable, esp when it feels our bodies have betrayed us.
    I think there can be a period of adjustment/ transition into what our body is capable in the here and now.

To me, it was like the stages of grieving. I don't remember all or the order of them, but the denial, the anger, depression to acceptance.

I was never a candidate for surgery, but have chronic pain that seems to worsen with time.
    It took me about 5 years to wrap my head around my situation, but the acceptance was also with depression.
    Getting the depression truly under control took couple more years.

Fortunately, with accepting and caring for myself as I am now, I have never been more content, I would say happier than ever.
    The depression and its flickering of negative thoughts has been gone three years now.
    Even with the pain, I'm thinking of the people in my life that care and share to lighten my load.

That includes my psychiatrist, who I continue to see every three months for medication management. I also did talk therapy for awhile and found it to benefit me. I was able to say whatever I wanted..things I would never say to family and friends..They just don't understand, no matter how much they try and care.

There is always hope for future treatments to manage the variety of pains...and I'm no way minimizing the pain! I live it, too.
    There are people who care about you, but don't know what to say or do.
    All,of your life experiences are there to help you handle the rough turns in life. And actually to help others.

Even sharing the helplessness here is something many of us may have experienced and continue to seek ways of continuing to manage it.
    Often times we are harder on ourselves than we ever would be to someone else. We would not speak so negative...so harshly to someone else.

We would be there for them and doing our best at encouraging every step of the way.
    You are the best caregiver for you! Be kind to yourself!

Re Disability, when I decided I could no longer work on a Tuesday, I saw Disability attorney on Thursday.
    I followed his direction and I never went to a hearing. I received my benefits within six months.
    Disability attorneys don't get paid if you win that quickly, but take their money from all the monies due you that for whatever reason you were not approved previously. Win-win to me. So hiring Disability attorney really no risk.

Of course, I don't know where you live. I'm in the States.

I wish you the best as you continue to find ways to best care for yourself!

Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• I agree wholeheartedly with Ron about the need for a positive mindset. One of the things that enable me to put up with my spine issues is humor. My diagnoses include lumbar spinal arthritis, spinal stenosis, L4-5 spondylolisrthesis (translated, forward displacement of L-4 on the spinal column), a 57-degree double scoliotic curvature affecting my thoracic and lumbar spine, and three herniated lumbar disks, which I've named Huey, Dewey and Louie. I can pretty well tell which of those three is causing pain on a given day, and I'll bawl that one out (for example, "Dewey, get your act together!"). Every little bit helps to cope with the pain and limitations.