Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Severe Bilateral Foraminal Stenosis

Hello all
I had another MRI this morning and read the report about a half hour ago. As posted it says I have Severe Bilateral Foraminal Stenosis at the C4 level. I am already fused from C4-7 so what should I expect? Says I have small to moderate herniation at the C3-4. I know it effects breathing so am I right in assuming the surgeon would want to do something?

Thanks
advertisement

Comments

• My guess would be a fusion for both that herniated disc and the stenosis (Oh Ouch) I really can relate!!
    Although im more familiar with Lumbar I had a friend that had a cervical fusion for a herniated disc and she held her hand and fingers in an awkward position for a year. I really hope you get some relief soon because the stenosis means there is narrowing of your spinal canal and usually compressed nerves. So if your in pain? Now you know why! We are all here for you. You don't have to go through this alone. Sending lots of warm thoughts and prayers your way!! Keep us updated!
    Mrs. Paula Jane ✒
  • The foramina are the small nerve openings on the sides another the spinal cord being narrowed. They do foraminotomy which will take bone away and open those area up to stop the nerve impingement.
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,940
    ...on Spine-health can comment on MRI or any kind of testing.
    Doctor is only one who can interpret the findings for you.
    And we members certainly can't know or guess at what surgeon would want to do or what he is thinking to do.

Please talk with doctor as he is best to assess, guidance, and or reassure you.
    Please keep us posted ....let us know what doctor says and how you are doing!
    Sue
    Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• So my first appointment with the Neurosurgeon is Oct 6th. My Neurologist is on the fence about whether my surgeon will want to operate because of the condition of my spine.
    Anyone have anything similar or an opinion?
    I also " think" I see a herniation right below my previous operation at the C7-T1 but not mentioned at all in the report. Strange

Thanks

* I'm not getting email notifications of new responses, where would I change that?

Thanks again
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,940
    When we come on site here, there will be initial information saying you have such and such private messages in your inbox.

Re responses to you posts, on,left of page, just click ...view my posts...and you will see updates to anything you posted on.

Above that is to view recent posts, to see who may have joined, and or other posts going on that you would have interest in reading and or participating.

There isn't any notification to personal emails. There was years ago, but not now.
    I'm kind of glad that notification stopped, as my email could get quite filled up on certain days......and I think it's very convenient to check here.
    Sue
    Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• Thank you Savage
    I remember the email notifications. I guess times have changed
  • Thanks everyone. I already had 2 operations in my neck in 2007 and 2009. I am fused from C4-7. So my C3-4 I guess will be joining the party. I have been in chronic pain since 2005 when I fell pulling a fire hose out of a building. Sadly neither of the surgeries did anything for my pain
    Being no expert it looks like I have another herniation just below my surgery ( C7- T1 ) but not mentioned in the report. I'll point it out to my doctor
    Thanks again
  • Thank you Paula Jane
    Kind of lost hope in an operation reducing my pain at this point. I have had two already and did nothing for my pain, maybe made it worse. I'm thinking my brain doesn't have an off switch for the pain receptors. I do understand I may need surgery to prevent further damage but I've come to realize it won't be a game changer as far as my pain
  • Tpm, I hear you about ,chronic pain. if you are having breathing issues I would expect treatment. If it has not affected breathing, then perhaps a wait and see? Are you still working in some capacity?

I have cervical foraminal senosis noted on my MRI. I have already had 5 areas of decompression.and 4 foraminotomies in the lumbar spine.

My only cervical symptoms to date is left shoulder to fingertip itch that becomes tingling that quickly turns to pain and numbness followed with loss of stregth. The pain is not excruciating and often a few neck movements (crunch crunch) eases away the symptoms. ,

When is surgical intervention most effective? Will waiting cost me in nerve damage down the road.? I know that you cannot answer but perhaps those cervical patients could share their experiences.

My lumbar surgeon does not do necks so he gave no direction to me.
    May 13, 2015. L4/L5
    2X bilateral lam
    2X s. process removed
    2X lumbar sten
    1X discotomy
    1X synovial cystectomy
    4X f. joint modifications
    4X foramenotomies
    1X spondylolisthesis
    1X bilateral post. Llumbar fusion
    1X instrumented fixation
  • tpmttpm Posts: 80
    edited 07/28/2015 - 2:12 AM
    I have actually passed out from pain on 3 different occasions so breathing may be effected but not sure. My PT therapist says I have issues with the way I breathe
    I am not working since 2008 because of my pain and having been a tractor trailer driver it made my symptoms worse. I went back to work after my first operation in 07 and a year later ruptured another disc. At that point doc said I was done
    Also have continued arm and hand tingling with what feels like bad arthritis in my right fingers right now
    I just sent off my MRI finding to [edit] NYC to see what they say

Thanks
  • tpm said:
    I have actually passed out from pain on 3 different occasions so breathing may be effected but not sure. My PT therapist says I have issues with the way I breathe
    I am not working since 2008 because of my pain and having been a tractor trailer driver it made my symptoms worse. I went back to work after my first operation in 07 and a year later ruptured another disc. At that point doc said I was done
    Also have continued arm and hand tingling with what feels like bad arthritis in my right fingers right now
    I just sent off my MRI finding to [edit] NYC to see what they say

Thanks
    TPM
    I think passing out with pain would require a tion sooner than later. Has your surgeon commented yet?
    Best of luck to you.
    May 13, 2015. L4/L5
    2X bilateral lam
    2X s. process removed
    2X lumbar sten
    1X discotomy
    1X synovial cystectomy
    4X f. joint modifications
    4X foramenotomies
    1X spondylolisthesis
    1X bilateral post. Llumbar fusion
    1X instrumented fixation
  • Just had an appt yesterday which was moved up from October. He feels with my previous surgeries and the location of this disc being where it is that I really need to wait until I have lost some use of my arm or leg movement or bowel function. He said even with surgery chances are my pain wouldn't be resolved as was the case in my previous surgeries
    So basically not much can be done right now
  • Hello again
    Can this somehow be related to bowel issues? ( no cord compression ) feels like I've had a blockage for the past month. Going to get a full physical shortly
advertisement