Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Nine weeks out from l4-l5/l5-s1 fusion

So, I'm exactly nine weeks out from surgery. Is it normal that I'll have good days and bad and even increased pain some days. The last two days I've had pretty bad sciatic pain in both legs (mostly left) and even pain by my left hip, which used to be here I had severe sciatic and herniated disk pain. For the record, this fusion was my fifth surgery, so I'm not expecting any miracle or non-practical expectations. I just wanna be able to live my life in minimal pain and not have it get in the way of daily function. It has for the better part of the last several years and I'm 30 now. No more surgeries.

Anyway, the pain has been annoying an increased the last couple days. Is it really still just recovery and nerve pain moving around this far into it? I understand it's a long recovery, and my back is still sore and getting a little better, but the rest is what I'm worried about. I don't even have disks there anymore, so it's obviously not herniation pain, but it's nagging and just not going away.

Trying to stay patient. Trying to stay relaxed and not frustrated.

• Things were getting better every day until this week. Just trying not to freak out. Has anyone had similar instances and is this normal?
  • Up for anyone with similar cases.
  • I'm coming up on 12 months post l5s1 fusion & for me the first 4 or so months was a roller coaster of feeling better then having increased pain. I kept being told it was my bodies way of 'healing' & now I have more good days than bad (mind you my idea of bad isn't really that bad, more annoying the crap out of me!) I have some lingering nerve pain & the odd lower back ache but that's a story on its own. Probably not much help am I?

Hang in there,
    Microdiscectomy L5S1 January 2014
    Microdiscectomy L5S1 March 2014
    Fusion L5S1 11th August 2014
  • No, I appreciate the reply, Owie. Thanks. Good days and bad is what it seems, but if that's just healing, that's good to know.

Thing is - I had four disscectomies. After my fourth, they said the pain was several year of built up scar tissue and that's why I was in so much pain. I know it gets worse before it gets better, but after my fourth surgery, it got worse and stayed bad. So it kind of changed my outlook and I'm trying not to lose hope right now. Does that make sense? My last surgery was such a bad experience that the second I'm getting to be almost 'healed' and this pain comes out of nowhere and gets worse, I feel like I'm screwed. Just completely losing hope that it worked, but I guess this really is just the most ridiculously long recovery and it's completely normal. 9.5 weeks is a long time. I guess I'll see where I'm at when I get to 12 weeks.

My last surgery really just changed my whole perspective and makes me nervous.
  • i have read many posts about nerve pain in legs and feet after surgery for several weeks or months. I have had a fusion, disectomy , two laminectomies. I have nerve pain in left leg and feet and still do. The PA and doc assure me it will get better. Nerves take lots of time to heal. So hang in there and give it time.
  • Glad to read these posts. This is my 2nd surgery and the nerve pains and electrical shocks are unbearable at times. Frozen feet, two toes numb on ea. foot , wearing 2 pairs of socks to bed each day. This 2nd surgery replaced a broken titanium implant & clip in L3&L4 from 2011 which ruptured vertebraes above and below the implant. After 4 years of excruciating pain and electrical shocks, groin pain , numbness, finally relief.... Fusion L5-S1 with rods and titanium screws. I no longer walk with a walker but with walking sticks, 30min per day. Sometimes every other day due to pain. Pain is real annoying . For nerve pain I take gabapentin, it helps. For the surgical pain I now take less, as needed , nucynta 50mg from every four hours down to once a day if needed basis. The electrical nerve pain in my toes are really painful, I hope this will disappear soon. Best of luck to you, pain will get better with time I was told.
    Thank you, CST