Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

MRI USED TO BE MNR Nuclear Magnetic Resonance

KMarsha59KKMarsha59 Posts: 31
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Pain Medications
We all know that MRI is Magnetic Resonance Imaging, but that was not the original name of

the machine. It was originally called MNR Nuclear Magnetic Resonance, and around the time that the film the

"China Syndrome" was made which just happened to be two weeks before

the radiation accidentally released at Three Mile Island, as coincidental as that may be.. and

people said, "ya know, if we're gonna be able to sell this thing we better pick a different name for it."

so they changed the name of the machine because of the fallout to Magnetic Resonance Imaging.

Just a tidbit of History for you guys...:)

It's nice to have an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out.

• It's worth noting that in NMR the word 'Nuclear' relates to the Nucleus, and does not refer to nuclear fission or fusion, such as was at Three Mile Island. I'm sure it was a good idea to change the name even though the two are totally unrelated.

NMR, or Nuclear Magnetic Resonance, is alive and well, and more info can be found here:

MRI is still NMR.
  • That's true.. Observant you are...:) I just read exactly what I posted and the reason being was so people wouldn't be afraid of using the machine from what they said.. The machine did LIKE THEY SAID...or was designed and ready for marketing at or around the exact same time the movie "China Syndrome" came out and the three mile island radiation incident..so to speak..
  • Besides, I was trying to be funny for all of us.. not get technical.. lol
  • haha, yeah, you were funny for all of us and I took the technical torch and ran with it. I can be a bit of a feisty arse, but it's always with respect and in good fun. If I added or corrected anything it's just what I found and thought interesting to add. And I get MUCH too technical sometimes, so feel free to slap me electronically if I'm out of line =P

I'm glad you posted that though, it gave me something to do for a while, and then time to ponder how odd it is that the word 'nuclear' can be used while talking about looking at very very small things, or on the opposite, 'nuclear' being some very very small things that can cause HUGE energy/destruction/etc.

Is there a word to describe the sounds an MRI makes when you are IN those things?