Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

healthy eating and pain

I find it really hard to eat healthy and manage my pain. There are two problems. 1- Shopping, carrying groceries, planning, etc. Also I get off work at 4:00 and need to be at the gym/pool by 6:00 and don't get home till around 9:00. That doesn't give me a big window to cook and eat. people always suggest to cook on the nights that I don't have aerobics but that is when I am running errands and spending time outside. I don't want to be stuck in the kitchen... 2- The other problem is that healthy food hurt to eat. Steak and pork are too hard to chew. The same thing with eating apples, coleslaw, broccoli, nuts, etc if I eat that I usually end up having to take a pain pill or a muscle relaxers. It's frustrating. I mean I can only drink so much slimfast.

Part of the problem, besides the neck injury, is that I had an jaw injury that went untreated. The dentist wanted to wire my mouth shut and my mother refused to help pay for it so I never had it done.

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,427
    Years ago I bought a cart to fold up into my car trunk ..and I put my groceries into that to bring them into my home.
    Grocery shopping is a very tiring activity and afterwards can take day or two of pain.When I have a friend help me, I feel so much better the next day.

You're schedule is tight. Is there anyway you might be able to eat more dinner like foods during your lunch hour..to sustain you through your work out and eat more light afterwards?

I have been going to different grocery stores and buying the already freshly cooked foods..meals.
    Presently, I'm hooked with the Polish grocery store! When I get home I put servings into freezer bags .
    The cost is so reasonable and I feel like grandma just cooked for me. :)

Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• I have a cart like that in the trunk for all the bird seeds when I go on my wild goose chases. I keep the birdseeds in the car and then just scoop them out. unfortunately it doesn't work for the groceries cos I live on the 3rd floor. And I only get a 30 minute lunch so I try to eat as fast as I can so I can get up and move around.

I also grew up where we had our biggest meal at lunch and then a sandwich at dinner. but I'm so picky about my bread... I pretty much only eat German rye bread.
  • Motor1MMotor1 Pittsburgh, PaPosts: 552
    What I found to help me is to do my big shopping on Sunday. When I get home, I wash & cut up all my fruits & veggies & put them in bags. I also make a big salad that will last me the week. I eat that everyday for lunch.
    I try to make a couple dinners & freeze them in smaller portions. My husband works a lot of double shifts & he can take a container to work to eat for his dinner, too.
    By the end of the week, I usually have some miss matched veggies left, so I turn it into a stir fry.