Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi-newbie here. I am having a (NOT minimally invasive-whatever that means)TLIF on L4-S1 in August. Anyone ever had this? I am nervous about the recovery period.

• I should have mentioned that the NS told me that the less invasive techniques would not help me becasue my condition is too bad.

• Welcome Shay and It's normal to feel scared & nervous.. We've all gone through this during our different kind of surgeries..
    We're here for you for support.

Best of luck
  • Thanks! What is the difference between tlif,xlif,plif....? How long after surhery before I can be "normal" again?
  • Hi Shay:

This site can give you a lot of information about TLIF, PLIF, ALIF, XLIF, etc. I had a TLIF, L2/3. What is "normal" as far as recovery??? Everyone is different, so that is hard to say. I have had a good recovery, but it is a long process and you have to be patient.

• And while I am nowhere near good to go, I feel I am on the road to recovery. I won't lie, I was in the hospital for 5 days and I pretty much thought I was going to die (although I had pain med issues so you will probably be more comfortable) Now I can pretty much do anything for myself, although things like dressing and shaving my legs are pretty difficult.

The jury is still out on whether or not I will regret my surgery but I am hopeful for a good recovery and a less painful life!

P.S. I think the difference between the different surgeries is in regard to how they approach is. I know a TLIF is done posterior and the other ones are done from different approaches.
  • mrossomx2mmrossomx2 Coal center Posts: 42
    I had my TLIF 16 days ago. I had my surgery on a Friday afternoon and was in my room by 8:00 p.m. I was released on Monday morning but stayed until early afternoon since my husband had to pick up kids from school and drive in.

The biggest problem in the hospital I had was the beds sucked, I mean no support considering I just had back surgery I found it very difficult to roll out of bed with no support. I had my catheter removed Saturday and was walking by Saturday at lunch.

When I came home my bed was much more comfortable and with the help of my husband I was easy to get around. I pretty much slept all day for the first 3 days home and then I started to come back to reality and started to join my family for meals and family time. I recommend maybe going to a Goodwill or something but my husband bought me a walker not to use for walking but I had something to grab a hold of to get out of bed easier. ( A big help)

I just drove for the first time yesterday, it is a little difficult (trying to not twist) to get out of the car. But my kids 11,9,8,4 1/2 help me out lol.....

So far I have no pain from the original problem (bilateral pars fracture l5) everything is just muscle and surgical pain.

Oh my profile pic is a small portion of my staples

You will be ok, just do not BLT and listen to everything your doctor says. Let your family and friends help you as much as they can.

Good luck