Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Recreational activities after a 5 level fusion

I had a 5 level fusion with a corpectomy of C5 vertebrate about a year and 4 months ago. I have had success as far as the fusion goes. Still having a lot of pain however. Still on oxycodone, gabapentin, and baclofen. I have had several injections and I am getting another probably in the next month or so. But from my MRI it looks like I have a good solid fusion. What I am curious about is the experiences of others that have had a neck fusion on what they are advised to stay away from. I am going to Disneyland with my family and wondered what I should or shouldn't do.
I don't normally go on anything to extreme. Some of the tamer roller coasters maybe but mostly just some of the easier rides like "Pirates" and Haunted Mansion things like that. Would those be too jerky for me now? Or be too dangerous for me to ride ? I know most of the rides there whether they are extreme or kids rids say not for people with neck or back problems but not sure if it would be ok or not. Does anyone have any advice from their experience or any advice on making my trip easier and more enjoyable. I don't know what to expect since I haven't done anything since my fusion. I have talked with my pain management doctor and gotten his opinion and I also plan on talking to my surgeon. I am asking more for the opinion of those who have experienced it so I know what to expect. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,839
    you should talk to your doctor about this.

From a non-medical professional and personal view only, I went on those types of rides 9 months after one of my ACDFs and 10 months after some L5/S1 surgery (different trip). I did the Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Submarine, (Little world, if I remember the name) The cervical fusion should be well into place 6months post surgery.

I had more problems with my back then I did with my neck.....

HOWEVER, I would NOT recommend SPACE MOUNTAIN or any other ride that has a lot of jerky quick motions. There are some at Universal Studios that also fall into that category.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I certainly will ask my surgeon what he recommends. I want to be smart about my decisions but don't want to miss out on things if I don't need to. It is nice to get input from someone who has "been there, done that." I do have some issues with my back and I know I will have to take it easy this trip. But, good to know it is not completely out of the question:) My pain management Dr. scares me and tells me it is easy for me to become paralyzed so I am always scared to do anything.