Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Outlook, possible Arachnoiditis, spinal stenosis, and disc bulges

I am a 40 yo female, when I was 19 I tripped over a baby gate, bringing on all of my current problems. I damaged my SI joint back then, it wasn't until mt lower back issues started popping up and going to PT that doctors began to believe me about my joint, by then it was too late though, from being ignored for so long, we are now at this current stage. Also, the SI Joint problem is on the left side, currently stuck sticking out and making my left leg longer than my right.

Last month I had an MRI with and without contrast.

There is increased T1 weighted signal and T2 hyperintensity along the left anterior aspect of the spinal canal at the L1 level which could be associated with a thickened left ventral L1 nerve root, although the findings may be artifactual due to CSF flow artifact. There may be minimal associated enhancement as well.

At L3-L4, there is mild facet hypertrophy, greater on the left.

At L4-L5, ther is disc desication with a mild disc bulge with an enhancing posterior annular fissure and tiny central disc protrusion. There is mild facet hypertrophy. The left neural foramen is mildly narrowed.

At L5-S1, there is a disc desiccation with a diffuse disc bulge and a small left paracentral disc protrusion with enhancing annular fissure. There is mild narrowing of the central spinal canal and left lateral recess, without change (from last MRI, I assume). Endplate degenerative changes especially towards the left have increased. There is mild to moderate narrowing of the left neural foramen.

Possible intradural extramedullary signal abnormality with possible minimal enhancement along the left anterior aspect of the spinal canal at the L1 level, could b associated with a thickened left ventral L1 nerve root. Possible etiologies include focal Arachnoiditis, although the findings may just be artifactual related to CSF flow pulsations. Lumbar CT myelogram is recommended for further evaluation.

Disc bulge with tiny central disc protrusion at L4-L5, unchanged.

Small left paracentral disc protrusion and endplate degenerative change especially towards the left at L5-S1 causing mild narrowing of the central spinal canal and left lateral recess. There is mild to moderate narrowing of the left neural foramen at this level.

To say I am a bit scared is putting it mildly. I am not looking forward to this test at all, and between my doctors office and insurance company, who knows if it will ever be approved. When the head neurologist calls you instead of a nurse that makes it even scarier.

Symptoms, always pain in my lower left back, sometimes it is on the right as well, but not often. Spasms in my back, butt, thighs, calves, and feet. Numbness and tingling in both feet, usually from my pinky toe to the middle toe, occasionally extends to all toes. I do get the sensation of water running down my legs, it is freaky on every level, because it feels wet, creepy, lemme tell ya. Muscle cramps in my butt, thighs, calves, and feet. Leg weakness, some days they are fine and others horrible, those days walking up a flight of stairs makes my legs feel like rubber bands about to snap. My legs fall asleep all of the time. Sitting, standing, walking, laying for more than a few minutes at a time is extremely painful. Currently the only medication i take is about 800 mg of Ibuprofen, it does nothing for me, but I take it in hopes it is lessening the inflammation some. I am going to wind up with stomach issues.

I guess I am looking to hear from others going through this, especially those with Arachnoiditis, and their outcomes. If I do have that, I will never be able to have surgeries to fix any of the other issues because they just make it worse. Looking for hope and I am also of the mindset of prepare yourself for the worst and hope for the best, this way, no matter what, I am ready to face it.
Thank you in advance,