Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Do you feel 'normal' pain while on meds?

JWMJJWM Posts: 291
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Pain Medications
So my question is this: Do you feel 'normal' pain while on meds? And by 'normal' I mean, if you have reached that point with your PM where your pain is managed very well, and you stub your toe, does it hurt like hell, or is it just, no big deal? What prompts me to ask this is..

I'm at a GREAT point with my meds. Great pain control, and no excessive negative side effects. Last night I was swimming with my son, and I pushed off from the side of the pool, somehow went low and smacked my head on the floor of the pool. I split my forehead open in a nice 1 1/2 inch break, with puddles of blood, etc. It HURT. But my back didn't. I'm fine now, but thought it very odd that my back pain was masked but I still felt the pain in my head. Is that normal?

Be safe swimming! =)

• Hey Jon,
    sorry about your head.As far as I know,the CHIP(our brain) registers only the most intense pain.
    I hope you feel better!

• Acute pain and chronic pain are a little different. We all know that when we have surgery the pain hurts regardless of the meds because it is acute.. The meds we take later for chronic apin act a little differently..
  • Jon,

Funny how much blood can come out of your head. :jawdrop: As for pain releif and management my personal situ is this. I take Norco to control the surgical pain when I know I may be doing too much. What I notice is that it has no effect on other acute injuries (ie head) Norco can not control or bring under control acute pain it does not function that way. Aleve (Naprox Sodium) controls my inflammation. When I do not take this I also feel an increase in my surgical pain due to inflammation. Prior to surgery I would limit the Naprox so that I would not overdo things and get my back all jacked.
  • I use to be a Physical Therapist 13 years before I had my first surgery in 1999. There is a huge difference in treating acute pain and chronic pain and this is the reason Jon felt the pain after his injury. Regular pain medicine doesn't touch it and this is why when we have a flare up with severe pain they usually give us Demerol shots or Morphine. They would not be able to just give us Norco after we had spine surgery because the pain threshold is too high..reason strong pain meds are given. Another thing, the sensation of pain to the head is much more increased after injury than pain to other parts of the body and pain to the face is much more haeightened than pain to the hand. One difference is there are more of and more sensative nerves that are closer to the surface on the face and head than anywhere else on the body. Some of you may know this but these are just a few things I learned while in PT school . Hope it helps some of you.
  • Very useful information!! Thanks....
  • Thanks for all the input guys/gals. Yes, the head DOES bleed quite a bit. I was lucky enough to stop the bleeding about 3 seconds after it started, so things turned out well. The reason I posed the question was because I was on 2 extended release meds, plus I had 2 norcos in me right at about their peak. I had always thought of norco as a med for acute pain; I suppose it is sort of, but just not to that extreme.
  • I didnt know that you can have two at a time. If you dont mind, I also remember reading somewhere that you are on a great medication mix right now, what are you on? I have been going to the PM for nearly a year and a half and am still trying a new med almost every month. I just want to find what will help me and stop being their little guinea pig.
    I have my next appt on Thursday and I want to ask to increase my norco and leave my ER where it is...but of course - 'asking' is a red flag!!!
    I just know that if I say that the oxy isnt working long enough she will want to increase that dose - but it makes me too loopy...so I just rather have an extra norco or two for those "just in case" times.

• First, yes about the pain I sometimes get migraine headaches and it is either take nothing or go to the doc and get shot full of Demerol/Phenergin to knock me out (this is usually on day two on my migraine). I don't even bother to take a percocet, but during my headaches I have NO backpain and don't have to take any breakthrough meds (I am on Duragesic 50mcg and Percocet 10 mg).
    Second, I have also had Opana ER on top of the Duragesic and Percocet. It just did not do much good for me, so we are trying switching the patch q2 days or adding a lower dose patch next.
  • I used to have very high pain thresholds (it took alot for me to complain). I recently went through a period of "undertreatment" of my back pain for about 3 months, and I have actually found I am extremely sensitive suddenly to minimal things like paper cuts that before would never had got my attention.
  • I never feel normal pain litterly. I am not sure why but seems as if my musle relaxor and things do not help so why take em?