Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Chronic pain

Hi all, Like so many others I too suffer from chronic pain, this affects me 24/7.Yes I had 3 operations, yes I have had injections but still pain. This pain and the way I feel is tiring, I have one of them non visible disabilities with foot drop and nerve damage., and disc problems.
I want to find work however difficult my pain is .But I want to work I am bored of my own company and I think having something to look ahead to, or a reason to get up in the morning, stop talking to myself and all the self doubting. I know there will be a problem with pain, and full time is way out of the loop.
I guess my rant is How do people cope while working whether its full time part time casual. I would like to here from anyone who can advice me with coping strategies'.
Many thanks

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,856
    For me it has really always been simple.

I started with spinal problems / surgeries when I was 28. We were raising a family , my wife worked full time, but still I needed to work.

So, my coping is I just did it, really didnt have any choice. Years of pain, driving long distances, sitting at the computer 10-12 hours a day, etc,
    then with countless number of flareups that put me out of work for weeks at a time.

When you dont have a lot of choices, coping because a lot easier.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • PlumbTuckeredOutPlumbTuckeredOut Philadelphia, PAPosts: 325
    Hi Jenny! I understand how you feel regarding being bored but in a lot of pain at the same time. I used to get very depressed because I needed to be able to do things to keep sane! And while you and I suffer no one can tell because there are no casts, crutches, medical devices....

I've also been on disability since I was about 24- half of my life I've been considered unable to work. I have done part time work and found the pain so distracting that work wasn't working out well. But disability doesn't pay enough to have a life either. People told me to "get a hobby" and I wanted to drown them! But now I've found that my "hobbies" are valued by others. I'm doing what I love while on my own schedule. I've been training dogs and selling my artwork. And this week the feedback from my human clients has me feeling really good! But I swear, when I was younger I had NO talents (I thought). It has taken patience on my part to find my strengths and to work on making my talents better and better.

I'd love to be able to work within my fields. I'd love to go back and get my PhD but I'm not sure those things would make me happy. I don't think I want to trade wealth (if that would ever exist for me) for my own happiness. Getting paid makes me momentarily happy, then I pay bills, but again, I still have people who like me for who I am now and not who I want to be. (Yes, I definitely needed to do a lot of self-evaluation to get to this point and I can be just the opposite some days!)

For me, I can be in pain, not be working doing what I thought I'd love, robbing from Peter to pay Paul, and still enjoy my life I have right now!

I sincerely hope this helps!

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less traveled by...... (Robert Frost)
    I still don't know if I should have taken the one that said, "Caution! Dead End" (Me)
  • I have pain every second of everyday. It gets extremely tiresome. I like Ron, have no choice. I have to work. I work a full - time job. I work 9 1/2 hours a day 5 days a week. I go home in so much pain that I can't do much of anything when I get home. That being said, I wouldn't change it other than maybe not having to work so much.:) I think it is good for my self worth. I feel like I have purpose outside my family. I still try and find time to spend with my family and thankfully my kids are understanding that I can't do it all. Even if you can't work, find something to keep you busy. Having chronic pain is very depressing for me. This keeps me sane. I also try to treat myself. I tend to get into a rut and then my pain and depression gets worse. I try to save enough money to treat myself to lunch or ice cream or a new outfit on occasion. Anything to keep me feeling like it is all worth it and I am not just working to pay bills. My indugences have to be small and minimal but they are good for me. Find something you love and do it for yourself.
  • Hi all. I'm brand new here. I have multiple back issues, had surgery to correct, and reinjured on a much grander scale a few years back. I'm a kitchen manager/Chef so I'm on my feet all day. I understand how it feels to be in pain to agony all day, every day. I say all the time that I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy.
    I've had 6 epidurals, nerve blocks, spinal stim, pain meds, have this ridiculously huge back brace I have to wear, walk with a cane, and nothing can provide true relief. Even the pain meds don't 'work'. They just take my no d off it for an hour Or so. Its so tiring. I have 2 kids and that's the worst. I can't be the Dad I was. It's heartbreaking and this isn't how I want my kids to remember me, as a cripple.
    I hope to find relief some day. I've found that you cannot rely on one doc to figure things out. After a while they get complacent. I recently met with a new pain doc and he opened my eyes to a world of new treatments and meds before I end up on the table again. All I can say is never lose hope. Of your current doc isn't giving you the answers you DESERVE, fire them. They work for us. Not the other way. Good luck all.
    Herniations T3/T4, T4/T/5, T5/T6, T6/T7
    L2/L3, L3/L4, L4/L5, L5/S1
    Surgery to correct in 2005, reinjured 2012
    Zero stability or movement in base of spine. Impingement on both sides of spine, with varying pain/numbness on both sides.