Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Persons with disabilities (PWD) Canada - help filling it out Application

PWDPPWD Posts: 1
edited 07/29/2015 - 10:50 PM in Health Insurance Issues

I just returned to Canada from working over seas for the past 15 years. I have Cervical Spondylosis in two places and spinal stenosis (herniated disc) at L5. I had an MRI done of the whole spine while over seas a year ago, I just started receiving income assistance here in BC, and they gave me the three part application for PWD. I also have upper body scoliosis, my neck vertebrae are straight, I have numbness in my fingers and severe pain in neck, shoulders, arms, back, and both legs which makes standing and sitting difficult for any prolonged period of time. One other condition I have been confirmed to have from 18 years ago is Sarcoidoses (a kind of rheumatism of the lungs).

I have to first have a one page 'Medical Report Employability' form filled out by a doctor to submit by the end of this August 2015.

I have no medical history recorded in Canada for the past 15 years, so in the next few days will be my first visit to a walk in clinic to discuss my conditions with an MD. I dont yet have a family doctor and probably wont for at least another month (long wait lists).

After reviewing the PWD application, I see that what they want to know is how your disability affects your daily activities of taking care of yourself, and whether your condition is severe or not. Those are the two criteria. It's a yes or no answer, either you qualify or you don't.

That said, and after careful reflection on my condition and the way it has affected my life for the past 15 years while living over seas, I could probably answer both ways for almost every question on the application. I have had to do everything for myself, independently, regardless of the associated pain, and when they ask about mental conditions, I would say that stress, anxiety, insomnia, depression are all conditions associated with CS but I have never been diagnosed with those things specifically. I won't go into detail about these at the moment, but perhaps through discussion, I can clarify and bring to light more about them and how I should go about having these associated conditions verified by medical reports before proceeding with having a doctor fill out the PWD application.

I would like to know if there are others here who have been successful with their PWD applications with similar conditions, and how you go about making a case for your disability on the PWD form and when discussing these issues with doctors?

Thank you!

Welcome to Spine-Health
Please click on link for helpful information!