Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New Member/Prealt Trail

jennylynne04jjennylynne04 Posts: 1
edited 07/31/2015 - 7:01 PM in New Member Introductions
Hey All, Just a little back ground. I was in a MVA in April 2006. Received Double tib/fib fracture one with a compound, Fracture/Dislocation of C6/C7. Plates were placed and fused for C6/C7. Done pretty good for several years with just minor aches and pains. Since I have had a son who suffered a brain injury in Sept 2012. He required total card for close to a year and now just depends on us for carrying him. He is 4 yrs old and weighs about 45lbs. It has wreaked havoc on my neck. I started seeing a neurologist last year and have been going back and forth to a pain doctor. We've tried muscle relaxers, pain pills, injections, epidurals. No relief. He now says I need to have the Pain Pump placed. I am a nervous wreck but yet I need some type of relief so I can care for my son. I refuse to take pills now because of the mind alterations. I have to be mentally stable for my son at all times. I would never forgive myself if something happened to him and I was on meds. What can you tell me about this pump? I read about the side effects and WOW makes me a little nervous but I also know it effects people in different ways. Just looking for a little insight. Thanks!

Welcome to Spine-Health
Please click on link for helpful information!

• I've had it 9 weeks now. I only have Prialt at the present time. I just had a 10% increase this week and I have felt some pressure in my head, and nausea. I'm considering changing out the Prialt to Morphine. I know the possible side effects are scary because of the concentration of psychological symptoms. The Prialt was used in my trial so he stuck with it into initial pump fill. It's been good pain control overall, I had pain spike up suddenly so we increased the infusion. Since I'm still in the initial period I'm not going to judge it quite yet. But the one thing that I don't like about Prialt is that it must be changed out every 30 days. This requires access to the pump more often than having other meds in it. There's nothing wrong with accessing the pump of course it's made for that, but in needing to do it so often I know the risks of infection rise and that bothers me. One PA used excellent aeseptic technique during a change, one well..not so precise. When I noticed the difference, I just started thinking deeper about this medication and its requirements.

Medications in a pump are dosed at 1/300 of what you would take orally, it doesn't go through your gastrointestinal system and the CNS (central nervous system) effects are much less. Prialts label use says its for patients that have failed opiates and need something else. But doctors are using it as a first-line medication. As with anything we take for pain, it's trial and error and I believe patient education is key also.

I'm hoping the best for your trial, when is it?
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,427
    Not sure of where you live. I'm in the States.

Here, for children with disabilities, the special education school within your district, would be very helpful.
    They can provide items and ideas of ways to have your child accompany you without the need for you to carry him.
    Ways that he may think are fun and he would look forward to, also!

There are many services he is allowed to take advantage of..and they always work with the family, also.
    Not only is every child unique and treated as such, but each family unit is unique, and they work with the needs for all, ....for the best of the child.

There is also respite from professionally trained special education aides. Their training allows them to be most comfortable caring for children with special needs. I have found that the people working in these capacities truly love their work.
    They are very special, creative, and caring people.

My sons are all grown up now and independent, but two of my sons were special needs from birth.
    My former spouse, also worked within the special educational organization within our area.

So, I just thought to mention above thinking something may be useful to you.

I wish you the very best with your pain management.
    Please keep us posted!
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History