Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Left leg weakness and buckling of leg

VickiVVicki Posts: 57
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Lower Back Pain
After yesterdays MRI w/ contrast I have a cyst and disc problems, yet again. Ive had a L5S1 disk surgery and second surgery -spinal fusion. I am now looking at surgery #3.
I need some help. Does anyone have any ideas how I can get around a little better. The cane thing won't do it for me if that leg collapses around me. The walker would be a good idea but I am only a young 55 and it'll look weird. Are these my only choices?

• unless you could rent a wheelchair for awhile. Do not worry what things look like. I am 45 and have no problem using a cane or walker or the electric cart at the store if needed. Sometimes it is either that or stay in bed. Good Luck to you and please keep us posted on your progress.
  • :) i am with paintheback on this one. i have used a whheelchair before and just ignored anyone looking at me. the chair means i get to go out and i would rather do that than stay at home. so put your ego aside and put yourself into a wheelchair! really, after awhile you won't even care what anyone thinks! i am 53! Jenny :)
  • vicki--I have to use a cane in public as I have problems with my right leg buckling. Now my left leg has decided to buckle as well and I need to just stop and lean on the cane.
    I used a walker and wheelchair in the past and being younger I do get alot of stares. I have had kids try to take my cane thinking it is a toy. I just laugh and tell them I need it walk. :) jade
  • And I've used a cane, wheelchair, and electric scooter as needed. I didn't even pay attention to people looking at me. I only remember one woman, a young woman, saying to me "I've been there, it will get better." And it did. I walk okay these days. You do what you need to do.
  • these exercises strengthen your muscles
    try them

The URL was removed by moderator paulgla. Advertising is not permitted on the Spine-Health forum.
    Thanks in advance for your cooperation.......Paul
  • painexercises- I'll check them out. thxs jade
  • Vicki, I was using a cane for the last 5 years and I am now 48. What I did do though was when I got to the mall, I would grab a shopping trolley an use that instead, just put my cane inside it. Actually it was better as I walked better (less limping) with something more solid to hold onto. Plus when my legs went numb I had something to lean on.
    When things got bed I would use the scooter thing from Westfield.
    I dont need it anymore Hooray! though I often take my cane with me to the shops to keep the kids at bay. :))

Blessings Sara
This discussion has been closed.