Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Post EMG -- how long will I be in pain?

Hi, I just had a lumbar EMG about 2 hours ago. They found a pinched nerve at l4. Hurt like hell when they stuck the needle in there. I took my pain meds when I got home but now the pain is increasing all the way down to my foot from my hip and my lower back is burning. Usually I only get this kind of pain if I try to sleep on one side. I need to figure out if I should have my employee cover my pm jobs (I am a pet sitter, I need to drive around).

Does anyone know when the Post-EMG pain might start getting better? Thanks.

• Should not last long...normally any pain subsides immediately after the testing is complete. Perhaps you tensed up too much in anticipation of the pain and that is contributing to any pain you continue to experience.
    Results are usually not given right after the emg is performed, because they need to be interpreted .

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,842
    there was no pain or discomfort after the test.

The only discomfort depending on how deep the electrical impulses needed to go to trace a problem.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I had some severe burning during the needle/wires insertions part in some areas but as soon as the needles / wires were removed, the pain dissipated.
    I haven't heard of lingering pain post emg.