Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Supplements and more

This can be a difficult topic to discuss. We all realize that the standard set of medications do not always address all of our medical conditions.
I have always been a firm believe in that medications are not the answer to control your pain but instead there are a set of different modules that you need to help manage and control your pain.

That goes way beyond just medications or any other ingested ingredient.

There are so many supplements out there that have claims that can equal solving the JFK assassination.

I think supplements are great. There are so many out there. Could come from a natural healing book, a vodoo doctor, whatever. I personally over the years have tried countless number of supplements and have found that there are a few that have been beneficial.

But what is important for everyone here to remember, is that while one person my tout this or that supplement as being the cure all, or that if you take this in the morning, that in the afternoon, you are going to be better.

I am happy for those that write that, because those things must have been helpful for them.

BUT... What is good for one person, may spell disaster for another. No one here understand the compete interactions of medications and OTC. So if someone tells you that Supplement "A" is going to make you taller and have less pain, may not understand that IF you take Supplement "A" along with Medication "B" there is going to be a very negative and potentially dangerous interaction.

So my message to everyone, is to listen and to read what people are saying. But before you start to act on any of those, PLEASE contact your doctor and/or pharmacist and run it by them.

Everyone is an individual, every situation and medication condition is unique, so there fore any form of aid is also unique and can not be lumped under a general rule.
Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com

• I am one who has been using alternatives for over 25 yrs. I have been damaged by a drug and ended up in ER. My daughter has been thru "H" with drug interactions....sudden hearing loss for one. So I am paranoid about drugs and do all I can to work with supps to manage my life. Everytime I see the drug ads on TV, I cringe....read daily from others about the damage from Lyrica for one. We all pick and choose and yes, everyone needs to do their research and decide for themselves ... We are all adults with sound minds I hope. C
    Bodywide OA, Fibro and complications from Hip Replacement.
  • like everyone said- be careful with supplements. I was taking too much vitamin D which raised my calcium level to high and they were testing me for thyroid cancer. Luckily all I had to do was stop the vitamin and the calcium supplements. Most daily vitamins have more than 100% of the daily requirements. That said... there are also prescribed medications that we need to take that deplete some of the things that we need. I know that some of my asthma meds do so the doctor does blood work every so often. I have to take magnesium supplements. But that is the key, talk to your doctor.
  • caroline2caroline2 Posts: 92
    edited 08/04/2015 - 3:30 AM
    supp, I'd be camping out at her door. Most conventional MD's won't even discuss supps as they don't do any of the training in med school. I count on friends and other health groups I've been on for many years. I truly believe many docs push too much calcium on people and it's so wrong. Read the Calcium Lie book. I take way more magnesium daily and every other day strontium for bone health and on the off day take 250mg calcium....Vit D3 and K2 which is vital. A friend ended up with nodules on her thyroid, let an MD remove most of her thyroid and it was calcium deposits. One HMO doc she went to for years told her it was good to suck on Tums for her calcium....bad info. SO many trust those conventional MD's....my daughter almost died from drug interactions. Stats report over 100,000 annual die from drug interactions..

Before you try any supplement, herb, over the counter item, exercise program, mechanical aid, brace, etc always consult with your doctor to make sure you get their approval.
    Some of these products may be very effective, but no two individuals or medical conditions are alike. What works for one, may cause trouble for another..
    Most doctors and pharmacists will gladly talk about supplements. Each may have their own views. In my experiences, I have found man physicians who will say ok to one supplment and no to another one. Not always recommending one. Pharmacists can sometimes provide a broader scope.
    Always keep in mind that when you read any book regarding a supplement, the author and source is important.

Ron DiLauro, Spine-Health System Moderator

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,476
    edited 08/04/2015 - 5:33 AM
    The only thing about depending on friends and other health groups, as you said,...you are communicating with like minded people. People who have decided they're disillusioned with doctors or conventional health care, for whatever their reason.

Here on SH I find members come from such varied backgrounds of not only spinal issues, but treatments, and their effects.
    We get to realize how unique each individual is, and we can relate with not all meds, nor all supplements, effect everyone the same. Like..one size does not fit all..kind of thing.

Many things are hereditary. Some may have little calcium in their diet and no supplements and still develop troublesome deposits.
    If that person developed calcium deposits on the thyroid, part of the thyroid may have to be removed.
    It usually doesn't matter if the "growth" is cancerous, malignant or benign or a cyst.
    If it is bothersome, it needs to be removed.

My doctors always want to know what kind of vitamins or supplements I am on. My pharmacy, also, monitors my medications closely.

Many physicians are being educated in supplements and dietary needs. And there are often referrals to dietician for overall patient care. I was.
    I agree, the older physicians may not have been as well trained, but my experience with my doctors is that they are quite well rounded.

If there is disappointment in conventional health care....well, I see no reason to throw the baby out with the bath water.

Respectfully, ~savage

Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• my friend was given bad info and she didn't need to have some of thyroid removed...she knows that after the fact.

I've had my share of damage done as has my daughter, so this is where I come from...I work hard on my research and do take ibuprofen which is toxic, but take pain reducing supps to help with pain...so it's all what people want to put in their bodies...I've been learning alternative/holistic healing for over 25 yrs and I know MOST do not. I don't like the BP meds I take, there have been side effects, and with a new supp I'm taking, which lowers BP and my extra magnesium daily, MAYBE I can get off the BP meds... My body as I see it is not drug deficient...but deficient in many other areas like valuable minerals.
    Thanks for your comments...we all come from our history.

My old back is pretty narley but I manage and last thing I want is back surgery...... Keep healing as best we choose. I'm not here to judge, and everyone does what they want to do. I love to hear what really helps people.

I'm here due to Osteoarthritis bodywide and Fibro but other systems need to be healthy and if I can control something I do....can't seem to stop the advancing OA, so I will say that I've been taking a powerful antioxidant for 20 yrs next month and totally off any otc allergy med and never back to an allergist which I did prior to 1995. Drugs nor allergist helped me...I'm allergy free for the most part.
  • itsautonomicitsautonomic LouisianaPosts: 1,817
    I am very supportive of supplements , but as one of the great Drs I saw told me " you should be looking into what you are eating first ". If you have deficiencies that can be addressed with diet that is above supements. Now some have deficiencies due to their issues that require supplements.
    It's no joke the damage pharmalogical drugs and supplements can do for many reasons so being educated is best like everyone said . B6 toxicity can mimic MS now that's scary, just don't underestimate supplements they are not regulated by FDA for the most part
    Do your due dilegence, trust you know your body and question everything if it does not fit. Advocate for yourself and you will be suprised what will be revealed trusting your body and instinct.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,875
    With your advancing osteoarthritis, you are probably best looking at the forum category that talks about arthritis,
    or the Veritas sister site: Arthritis-health

This goes far beyond supplements and talks about what you can and should not do when you have arthritis.
  • PlumbTuckeredOutPlumbTuckeredOut Philadelphia, PAPosts: 325
    edited 08/04/2015 - 8:15 PM
    I worked in Pharmacy and studied pharmacology for too long to not be working in it now. Many, many people assume that supplements and natural products are safe because they don't require a prescription. Here's the reality, many of these "natural products" are the beginnings of some prescription medications. Pharmacologists studied the natural ingredient and chemically altered it in some ways to lessen harmful effects or remove the possibility of it being fatal. Other times a natural substance has absolutely no effect on your pain condition, you may be taking it to grow longer nails or to sleep better! But remember our bodies have 2 filtering systems, our kidneys and our liver. If our kidneys or liver are being taxed by one "natural substance" they may not be able to filter the prescription medication as well thus causing an increased level in your blood stream, making the med too strong or to metabolize faster making it less effective.

People groan saying that the big pharma says this just so people will remain dependent on them. I live on disability now and train dogs- I stand to gain nothing apart from the peace of mind that I suggested caution! Tobacco is natural as is arsenic, fox glove, willow tree bark. We all know that if aspirin were brought to the FDA today it would never be made available over the counter!

Please, ask a pharmacist or your doctor before trying anything as a supplement or natural "aid".

In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on.
    -Robert Frost

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less traveled by...... (Robert Frost)
    I still don't know if I should have taken the one that said, "Caution! Dead End" (Me)
    edited 08/04/2015 - 8:28 PM
    Thank you.

That was one of the best posts I have read about supplements. I think many of us have tried various types, so many are just hypes.

No natter what someone may post and talk about that supplements are the end to all of your problems, or what articles and books are written, you need to look at everything. Many of the articles and books written about this are done by folks that are promoting their product. So, you know they are going to say how wonderful their item is.

Talk to your pharmacist. They can tell you which supplements are generally considered positive and those that are not.

I believe that you would be safer if you tried all natural products vs commercial supplements. But then again, always talk this over with your doctor for their input and approval.

For example, I do take turmeric. I do not use the store purchased ones, but I have a tea dealer that gets as natural and pure turmeric as possible. It cost more, bu its worth the price. I also use fresh ginger on a regular basis. But before I started taking that, I discussed it with my doctor first. Over time, my doctor has advised me that some of the 'so call supplements' are really just marketing attempts

Be wise, be smart...
  • the advancing OA. I've done so much in some 60 yrs and it's all management. I've had a stomach ulcer from a drug anti inflammatory back in the 80's, so I would not entertain any of today's anti inflammatories. ibuprofen keeps me going and help from the DGL for stomach protection. I've done a lot of life and content with where I am now....I don't fight it, it's where I've arrived. Do I like it, no.
    Your signature line includes: complications from Hip Replacement.

but you hardly talk about it. You talk all about supplements.
    I think this site might be very interested in your hip problems. So many of our members after having spinal problems develop joint problems.

Hip surgery is probably one of the more successful surgeries performed. The recovery rate is documented to be the fastest and the outcome to be one of the best. Since you seem to be in a minority, please start a thread in the appropriate category to talk about your hip complications.

(Just dont add it here)
  • caroline2caroline2 Posts: 92
    edited 08/07/2015 - 5:42 PM
    I get the energy, I may do a post of my hip replacement "mess".... it's been the topic of my life for 5 yrs soon.