Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

High CBD Medical Marijuana. A Converted Doubter.

Res37RRes37 Posts: 2
edited 08/03/2015 - 3:15 AM in Chronic Pain
Long-time lurker with chronic lumbar pain from DDD. I thought I would share my experience with medical marijuana, and where it can fit into a regimen designed primarily for chronic pain relief and delaying surgery. Not intended as medical advice, rather one person's experience with an under-utilized treatment.

TL;DR : High cannabidiol (CBD) medical marijuana is the best pain-reliever I have experienced thus far for chronic, non-acute pain.

37yo, relatively fit male. Lived with back pain for 10 years. On a pain scale, if 0 were no pain and 10 were horrendous, bladder-emptying pain, then I would be a 4 on good days. During particularly bad episodes which occur 1-2 per year, it is closer to 8-9 and I am unable to work in the office for a few weeks.

Previous and current treatments include:
- Prescribed NSAIDS (For me, ineffective and no better than heavy dose of Aleve)
- Physical Therapy (Did nothing)
- 40 min daily stretching routine (It helps moderately)
- Walking 2 miles every day (Very effective)
- Methylprednisolone Dose Pack (Helps with mild herniations)
- Epidural Injection (Helps heal severe herniations but otherwise no pain relief)

Until I tried medical marijuana, the best post-work pain relief was 2 glasses of wine + alternating ice/heat packs. In terms of dealing with chronic pain, that is what approximately $10,000 in doctors' visits had bought me. Naturally, this would not work as a longterm solution because of any interaction with NSAIDs, as well as it being dependency-forming.

Fortunately, I live in a state where medical marijuana is legal, so I sought out a doctor who approves most cases.

I researched medical marijuana like any other pain-relief treatment and bought several strains from a dispensary.

The plants with a high THC predictably have a psychoactive effect. But I found the pain relief to be inconsistent. For example, if I were in a rested position when I dosed, then my body felt extremely relaxed. On the other hand, if I were standing up or walking, it tended to make nerve pain in my legs much worse. Naturally, the psychoactive effects made high THC plants a non-starter for someone who is employed or not home-bound.

On the other hand, the plants that were high in CBD were extremely effective with chronic pain relief. It was almost as if I felt pain drain from my body. There was a mild psychoactive effect, comparable to having a single beer or wine. Basically you are still fine to carry on with your daily life, albeit relaxed and possibly drowsier. The plant breed I found to be most effective was Sour Tsunami.

For acute pain (like a herniation or severe sciatica), it provides mental relief for the pain but is ineffective for actually treating it.

Additionally, I found a pocket-size vaporizer to be the most convenient way to dose. There is no combustion involved, so no smoke, which makes it healthier. Additionally, it is discrete so you can use it while going for a walk.

Getting the dosing down takes a few attempts.

High CBD medical marijuana is a low-risk treatment that can serve as a staple of post-work pain relief. Depending on nature of one's job, it could be done at a lunch break as well. It should probably treated as one would OTC cold medications: 'Don't operate heavy machinery, etc.'

Everyone is different. It may help some but not others. But IMHO, it is definitely worth researching as a treatment option.

Welcome to Spine-Health
Please click on link for helpful information!

• i just got medical marijuana last month and still not sure. I use a vaporizer as well but feel like I'm smoking and sore throat and cough in the morning. I wish they had edibles with the CBD balances. i'm still on the fence. I keep wondering if it helps with my leg sciatica so I'm still in the test mode. I don't remember marijuana with such a awful smell like the ones I was prescribed.

I don't drive or work anymore so not worried about drowsiness just a couple of times felt kind of weird. I don't get high. It's funny how one can be a doubter than it can turn around. I don't think it's for everyone though and not recommended for young people except those who have seizure disorder etc.

It doesn't get rid of my pain so still wonder and I'm concerned the Dr. wants to lower my other meds. I will test this a little longer. Thanks for posting. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,818
    I am glad that it is working for you..

Do a search here and you will find dozens of threads and many more comments that deal with Medical Marijuana
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • What does CBD stand for? I live in an mm approved state too, but worry about federal law trumping states rights, especially as a mom. (And what that would do to my rights as a parent).
    Also, when I experimented with it recreationally years ago, I used to get super paranoid. Is that the case with therapeutic doses of CBD MM?
    Thanks for any insight you may be able to provide, and also for sharing your story.
    If this were an option for me, id be all for it. I hope not to be on narcotics long term, and can't tolerate NSAID's due to gut issues.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,818
    edited 08/06/2015 - 4:47 PM
    wikipedia said:

Cannabidiol (CBD) is one of at least 85 active cannabinoids identified in cannabis.[4] It is a major phytocannabinoid, accounting for up to 40% of the plant's extract.[5] CBD is considered to have a wider scope of medical applications than tetrahydrocannabinol (THC).[5] Unlike THC, CBD is generally considered to be non-psychoactive.[6] An orally-administered liquid containing CBD has received orphan drug status in the US, for use as a treatment for Dravet syndrome, under the brand name Epidiolex.[7]
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I can't vape MMJ anymore. I keep getting sore throats similar to when I used to be a cigarette smoker. I can't use it anymore so I've stopped. If it ever comes out in a regulated oil or pill in my country I may try it again. It also made me tired and also didn't need more cravings for food with my body size. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I wasn't getting help from doctors for my condition.. and what they were trying wasn't helping at all... because its something I have to live with...and I had lost insurance so I started smoking MMJ and it helps a lot. I do still have my bad times but without MMJ I wouldn't be able to do the things I can now but if I run out boy am I miserable. I am always smoking but it really helps me and I had to do what I had to do.
  • new77shsnnew77shs West Virginia Posts: 1
    My doctor is giving me the pill form. Does anyone have any experience with this?