Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pain pump

EveningwalksEEveningwalks Posts: 4
edited 08/03/2015 - 2:52 AM in New Member Introductions
I have an intrathecal pain pump implanted and I'm looking to talk with people that have chronic pain due to back or neck issues. I'm a 42 year old male and I have had 5 surgeries in the last 3 year. I've had a cervical discectomy with fusion 3 level . 2 lumbar surgeries. The pain pump implanted along with a new catheter and tried the spinal cord stimulator which did not work. I am getting pretty good relief from the pump.

Welcome to Spine-Health
Please click on link for helpful information!

• NursesrangelsNNursesrangels Posts: 29
    edited 08/02/2015 - 6:15 PM
    Hi Eveningwalks,

How long have you had your Pump? Glad to hear it's working for you and relieving your pain. I had a spinal cord stimulator trial and it innervated my abdomen and right thigh, I felt nothing in my back! I was really hoping it would work too.

I'm seeing my doctor this week and am asking to change the medication in the pump. I haven't been having very good pain relief the past couple weeks and it started off after surgery 2 months ago with excellent pain control. I have a non-opiate called Prialt and I'll ask for good old Morphine to replace it. I think I gave it a good try--just had a decent increase too. I don't like the way I've been feeling either, too many serious side effects with this medication.

I'm excited to talk with others who have the pump. I really like your user name!!!
  • I've had my pump for a year and a half. During all the trials I had allergic reactions to dilaudid and one other I don't recall where I was itching real bad. I have in my pump straight fentanyl. I also take Valium and lyrica orally. I did the spinal cord stimulator trial for two weeks and it did not work for me. I also have had cervical surgery and the pump does not do a whole lot for the neck pain so I take ibuprofen four times a day. I also chose to have the pump implanted in my buttocks ibstead of my abdomen.
  • The Prialt was drawn out and in went Morphine. It takes 96 hours for the remaining Prialt in the tubing to work it's way through and the Morphine to reach the catheter tips and drip out.

Because the bulk of my injuries/surgeries and pain is in my Thoracic spine, the catheter tips are placed as high as possible (as opposed to a lumbar patient for instance). Since the cerebral spinal fluid flows downwards, they explained to me that Morphine 'drips up' (can ascend) Dilaudid 'drips down' (is heavier) and Fentanyl drips 'out' and is absorbed by the surrounding tissues.

I can understand why your cervical pain isn't helped with the pump, how does the ibuprofen help that pain? And I am curious how the pump being in your buttocks feels. Is it placed where you actually sit on it or is it more toward the waist? Since mine is just a couple months in, I still have tenderness around the pump pocket.

I just realized that I have been out today nearly 9 hours, lots of driving, extended sitting, etc, and that is amazing!! The pump has made such a huge difference for me and my activity level. It is time to end this day though, I overdid it, a side-effect as most of us know of feeling better!!

Take Care