Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New to spine health -- Pain relief and problems

SacramilSSacramil Posts: 7
edited 08/03/2015 - 4:47 AM in Pain Medications
Hello, all.

Quick summary, 20 years old and unfortunately in pain management. I started about 4 months ago. I was involved in a car accident and suffer from migraines nearly everyday and I have big bulging discs in L4-5 that cause problems on their own.

Now, I've read threads and everything on here, I'm interested only in what your opinion based on your experience is. I don't want to read "talk to your PM doctor" because I will. Thank you.

I started with hydrocodone, it never lasted long enough. After switching to oxycodone 5 mg, 4 a day, I felt much more relief, but still not long enough. I recently got a prescription for 10mg oxycodone, 4 a day.

I feel they don't work at all. If I take it orally I get very drowsy and tired can't keep my eyes open. I only feel slight relief if I dissolve a tablet in water and take it that way.

I've tried for over two years to stay away from pain medication, but I can't walk or anything without it so I had to. I'm straying away from oxycontin because of how powerful it is. I feel it's my only choice.

So, has anyone else experienced that a higher mg pain medication didn't work as well as its predecessor?
How do you feel about oxycontin?

I recently got a nerve block in my neck to help my migraines and this Wednesday we start on my back. I'm not excited to face the irritation these injections cause with this medication. How can I get it to kick in like it's supposed to?

Any opinions? I'm all ears, very young and nervous what my future holds. I've been told it'll only get worse.

Thank you all

• I don't think you want to look at opiates in terms of strong versus stronger. Instead it's best to break them down into categories of long-acting versus short acting and the other would be metabolic (how they are broken down by the body). So you have some reading that you need to do to learn up on the topic. Even with the reading about the only way you will know how the different ones work with your body is thorough trial and error and by keeping good records.

Good luck.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,877
    but you really need to discuss all of this with your doctor. They are the ones closest to you and are in the best position to determine what is right for you.

We could easily say this medication or that one, but that is based on our personal experiences. Without know all of your details, it would be impossible to come up with solid recommendations

Read what Wolf had to say. Its important to understand the difference between ER Extended Release medications vs IR Immediate release medication. When someone is suffering with chronic pain, many times the doctor will prescribe a ER medication and then along with that a breakthrough medication. The breakthrough is to be used between taking your ER medication.

So, its really not important to talk about Oxycontin, higher dosages, etc First understand your problem and then work with your doctor to come up with the best plan. Pain medication plans are not easy to work with. Everyone is different. Many times there will be a trial and error period . Some medications may work better than others, especially with any other medication that you may be taking

So, when
    Sacramil said:

"talk to your PM doctor" because I will. Thank you.
    do discuss all the options that will be available to you
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I typically read posts rather than comment but I have to agree with you but the other comments as well. I have been on a variety of pain medications over the course of the last nine years. Through much trial and error and working with my physicians we finally found something that works. It was not an easy road but it took a lot of communication and working closely with my doctor. When I started on medication eight years ago, I was on non-narcotics as well as physical therapy. I know that most physicians will begin with the most conservative approach and then try different medications. I have been on everything with the exception of patches. My pain is currently managed with a combination of an extended-release medication given every eight hours and something for breakthrough. I also had to find the right doctor who was willing to work with me to find that right combination of medications.

Pain medication administration is very much individualized because people metabolize medications at different rates and respond differently to specific medications. For example, my pain responds to the oxycodone-based medications much better than morphine or the extended relief formulation (MS Contin) and others respond differently. Work with your doctor to find the right medication in the correct dosage to adequately manage your pain. Unfortunately it is not a quick fix because once you find the appropriate solution it must be continually assessed to determine ongoing effectiveness.

I wish you luck.
    Chronic pain, Degenerative Disc Disease, Fibromyalgia, Hip Replacement Surgeries (Right/3x), Osteoarthritis, Sciatica (R), Spinal Stenosis, Spondylolisthesis, and Synovial Cysts