Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

An interesting pain treatment I've discovered (but can't pinpoint)

Last fall, when I was in physical therapy, I discovered that when I did a calf raise, it would take away sciatic pain. For a very short time, but it would greatly reduce the pain. That feeling of having a weight constantly sitting on your hip, pressing down on your leg and giving you hip, butt and leg pain would decrease at least somewhat when doing that stretch.

The calf raise I'm referring to is one of those foot stretching systems, a device you see at a PT office or even if you just stand on one of those exercise boards with your toes and stretch out your calf.

I asked my PT about it and he did some research. It was so long ago that I forget, but I just shot him an email. He did give me a legit explanation on why it helped, and from his research, it definitely made sense. If anyone has any idea about why this would help, please, post away. Otherwise, I'll post it if and when I hear back from him via email.

Either way, I wanted to post this not only to see if anyone can provide insight, but maybe to help others. It's not a cure by any means, but hey, when my sciatic pain is at its worst, and I do a nice 10-20 second stretch on that, it gives me a few minutes of relief. And I know that most people who took the time to sign up and post here understand what a few min of relief here and there can mean.

Anyway, does anyone else have any history with stuff like this?

• caroline2caroline2 Posts: 92
    edited 08/03/2015 - 8:31 AM
    Over 30 yrs ago I ended up with sciatic nerve "mess" after hysterectomy. Did a LOT of chiro work initially and an old time internal adjustment that PT's still do and some old time chiros....going in to release the nerve where it is causing havoc. This work was like a miracle. Specialized workers do this internal work to this day. Gotta find them.

Now what I do every day is rotate my body on my bed, pull both legs over and hold a stretch and this loosens the sciatic issue for ongoing maintenance. Do both side rotations.

Before you try any supplement, herb, over the counter item, exercise program, mechanical aid, brace, etc always consult with your doctor to make sure you get their approval.
    Some of these products may be very effective, but no two individuals or medical conditions are alike. What works for one, may cause trouble for another..

Ron DiLauro, Spine-Health System Moderator

Please do not delete or alter statement in your posts that moderators have pointed out to be a potential situation
    Bodywide OA, Fibro and complications from Hip Replacement.
  • Got this from my physical therapist:

We discovered that you had some adverse neural tension and did peroneal nerve stretching which was able to both exacerbate your symptoms but also provide relief when only done to a certain point. Much of the focus at the end had shifted to addressing that nerve tension.
  • WhatsTheJuiceWWhatsTheJuice Posts: 29
    edited 08/05/2015 - 7:20 AM
    "The sciatic nerve splits into the common peroneal and tibial nerve nerves at the back of the knee. All the nerves in your lower limb originate from one of those two. The common peroneal travels just behind the head of your fibula before it splits again into other branches. From what I remember, that was the area where I thought your nerve mobility may have been compromised/adhered; in fact I think we even did fibular head mobs during some sessions for that reason. "