Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Neck Surgery Experiences?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
My name is Susan and Im 41. I had my first ACD in 2004 (c5-6). I woke up pain free and it was a cake walk. My most recent sugery was July 3, 2008 and I am having a differnt experience. I woke up from surgery feeling much better of course, but recovery is going much slower. My left arm and fingers are still quite numb, my arm aches constanly amd from shoulder to shoulder aches and burns. It hurts the worse when I lie down, so I have not gotten a lot of sleep. I have called my dr and the nurse assurems me this is normal.
I was just hoping to find others who can share their experience.

• I am still having shoulder pain and pain running down my arms. Yesterday I started having constant itching in both hands. grrrrr. I was pain free for about 6 hours post op. I was on cloud nine but then the twinges of spasms returned. My Doc says it's all normal. So I still play the waiting game. I am supposed to take off my Miami J collar next week and return to work in surgery. I will rattle this Doc's cage if the problems get to bad. This is a nice formum to compare to others with. I have heard from my other patients who come in for re-do's that recovery is harder. There is more scar tissue each time. Hope this helps.

• Susan, It sounds very normal to me. Your surgery was very recent. I too had ACDF in 2006 and I thought it was a cake walk to what I had June 16th which was a posterior foraminotomy. This has been very painful going in thru the back. What I can remember from my ACDF is alot what you are describing, It take s a long time for it to heal. I was off work for the full 12 weeks when I had mine. I worl in a very busy hospital as an x ray tech so my job is very physical and I work 16 hour shifts. If it was up to my NS I would have only gone back part time.

• Linda, How long ago was your surgery? Do you feel ready to go back to work? Be very careful. You have a stressful job and it will wear you out very quickly.
  • Hi,
    Thank you so much for your replys. I am sorry for what you have gone through, but thankful someone can relate. Thanks!