Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

what to do

I have very bad pain in lower right back when i walk two blocks i cant walk any more the pain goes into my butt and lower right side of leg and top of foot from knee down is numb but not for long X-ray showed 9 mm bulge mri showed 3 mm with pinched nerve and pars defect my doctor seems nerves to say or do much but a spinal place wants to do surgery. What should i do?
advertisement

Comments

• PlumbTuckeredOutPlumbTuckeredOut Philadelphia, PAPosts: 325
    Hi Bailey's!
    If we took 100 people off the street and gave each one a free spinal MRI we would find 100 spinal images with multiple different and varied anomalies. Of this 100 people about 20% would admit to sometimes being in pain from their backs. Looking at the MRIs from these individuals it's likely to find that these people probably do not have the worst spines according to their MRIs. Lots of people have bulging disks and pinched nerves and have no pain. Other people are in a lot of pain with no symptoms on their MRIs.

In general surgeons don't like to operate on backs for the purpose of "pain relief" because it's a long shot that surgery is going to alleviate the pain. Back surgery is an option usually only when there is a severe loss of use of limbs, loss of bowel and/or bladder control. Often people having back surgery to regain use of limbs, bowels and bladders come out with more pain than they had previous to surgery.

I know that none of this is making you feel better because pain hurts! Here are some suggestions, try physical therapy and really DO IT! It can work! Try taking oral steroids to lessen the inflammation and swelling. The disks can pop back into place with reduced swelling. Try acupuncture. Learn cognitive behavioral therapy for pain management. I know! You want pain relief and NOW! These modalities really do work and don't leave internal scarring, severed nerves, more damage.

Read through these forums. Many people can tell you how some surgeries helped them while others needed more and more surgery and continue to be in pain. Any place that wants to do surgery as a first option is the last place I'd want to be.

Sheila

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less traveled by...... (Robert Frost)
    I still don't know if I should have taken the one that said, "Caution! Dead End" (Me)
  • thanks Im doing those and taking pills for inflammation I got online and they started calling and i sent my mri to them then they wanted me to get surgery. It felt like a tele-marketer. thanks again its scary to think about surgery on the back.