Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

How do I ask for an increase in p.meds, scared, have an apt next wk

Hi
As some of you may know I had a problem years ago with oxycodone I.R. And my new Dr put me on Hydrocodone 5 325 X2 prn. The med works good when I take it but at night I am left in agony. I am very appreciative that I am giving this chance. I am going to be seeing a fill in doctor next week and I want to tell him that the pain is being helped during the day but not at night because I don't have an extra pill in the evening. How do I approach this.

So because I am labeled a person with a history with opiods abuse I have to have several safe guards in place. I have a visiting nurse who comes sees me every morning that hands out the meds. I have them locked in a fire proof safe which I do not know the code to. I am also on a benzodiazapam. So it's not like I have full access! Any help thanks
Bipolar d/o, ocd, ptsd, bpd, 2 herniated disk, diabetes on insulin, Htn, high lipids, neuropothy.
Meds: klonipin, norco/vicodin, lyrica, psych meds, etc. Late 30s male.
advertisement

Comments

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 10,045
    some of this in your previous thread http://www.spine-health.com/forum/pain/chronic-pain/pain-meds-2

It makes a big difference when you are talking about someone who has a known history with opioid abuse and is monitored.
    With that piece of information, the only advice I can give you is to tell the doctor everything.

Then it will be their decision on the next step.

The fact that you have a visiting nurse and have your narcotics locked away is enough information to make the doctor question any of your requests. Honestly, after your first thread and not saying this and then coming out and stating this now, I also would question your motives.

Just be 100% honest with the doctor, do not hold anything back.

As far as being a member here. Ok, so, you left a few things out.. No one here is going to judge you are say that you are a good or bad person.

We all have to deal with pain and sometimes along with that comes demons.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • dilauro said:
    some of this in your previous thread http://www.spine-health.com/forum/pain/chronic-pain/pain-meds-2

It makes a big difference when you are talking about someone who has a known history with opioid abuse and is monitored.
    With that piece of information, the only advice I can give you is to tell the doctor everything.

Then it will be their decision on the next step.

The fact that you have a visiting nurse and have your narcotics locked away is enough information to make the doctor question any of your requests. Honestly, after your first thread and not saying this and then coming out and stating this now, I also would question your motives.

Just be 100% honest with the doctor, do not hold anything back.

As far as being a member here. Ok, so, you left a few things out.. No one here is going to judge you are say that you are a good or bad person.

We all have to deal with pain and sometimes along with that comes demons.
    Bipolar d/o, ocd, ptsd, bpd, 2 herniated disk, diabetes on insulin, Htn, high lipids, neuropothy.
  • Hydrocodone5325HHydrocodone5325 Posts: 7
    edited 08/06/2015 - 3:15 PM
    Help?
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 10,045
    edited 08/06/2015 - 3:43 PM
    All new members go through an approval cycle.

One cycle is for new threads ( which you have already created ) and the other cycle is for comments, posts, which you just tried , but you saw
    it did not show up immediately. I approved your comment, so from this point on, all of your new threads/posts will go through without any delay.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I can't help you, but I can relate. I have chronic pain and the only relief I get is narcotics. I have a constant struggle exactly as you do. In fact I disagree with my doctor who has not let me take pain medicine for several years now.

I agree with dilauria, be honest with the doctor. Tell him/her what you'd like. You may not get what you want but you should always be honest and let your doc know whats going on. Hopefully they comply if you're suffering... I sure wish my doc would!

Good luck!
  • Have you been upfront with your visiting nurse? If so, will the nurse advocate for you? She is part of your visiting team. As someone with knowledge of addiction, people with a past history do need to be honest and upfront with providers, but shouldn't be made to suffer.
    have you tried the blend, as listed in many threads? I have found walking to be of a great assistance when I feel well enough to do so. When I don't, I add a heating pad, hot shower, meditation, etc.
    there are many other options to add to boost your pain meds. Is it nerve pain? Or mechanical? There is no pain med that will take away 100% of your pain.
    Good luck to you.
advertisement