Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

C4-C7 fusion: slow recovery thoughts

AySeaDeeF3AAySeaDeeF3 Posts: 1
edited 08/07/2015 - 2:35 PM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I'm recovering from a 3 level ACDF that was done int the beginning of April (Apr '15). After three months of recovery, I went back to work...but I also started PT the same week. Before my first day back....I felt great, I was on little to no pain killers, and I was excited to get back to normal. I was amazingly positive…but....

It ended up being too much for me and after two weeks of trying to work part time, I slid backwards. Way backwards. I stopped doing my walks, started sleeping like crap, and I had to get back on my pain meds. To add insult to injury, my swallowing became difficult again. I also quickly became tired of telling people the same story over and over again...and thanking people who told me I looked great, but knowing how I felt wasn't great at all.

This week I finally had to admit to myself that I couldn't handle things and I needed to take more time off. It's horrible because it feels like a major setback (on so many levels). Today I had my doc send the paperwork in to my employer so I can stay out for another 4-6 weeks to focus on my PT. To say this is frustrating and demoralizing would be understating how I feel right now. But....

If you're in the same situation as me, things were probably not good before you had this surgery.…so you have to remind yourself that things are better today than they were before....and you have to accept this is a very, very slow recovery (and try not to get mad at the threads you read about people returning to work after six weeks ). Even when things don't seem like they're better, they are always getting better, even if it's a little bit at a time.

You also have to be aware that if you return to work and try to go back to being normal, you may not be able to jump back into things the way you're used to...and that's totally OK. It's more than OK...understanding your limits is part of this recovery process...and unfortunately it's a lot of trial and error.

After all of this is said and done, you might get back to normal or you might even be better than normal...or you may have a new "normal" you need to get used to. Wherever you end up is OK...just as long as you listen to your doctors and do what you're supposed to do to get healthy. You need to trust your doctors and therapists at a time you're questioning everything…and more importantly, you need to trust yourself and pay attention to what your body is telling you (and then be an advocate for yourself). If you do that, then you'll get better on whatever timetable for body needs you to be on...and you'll end up exactly where you're supposed to be.

I thought today would be a good time for me to write my first post and I hope my perspective can help others struggling with a slow recovery. I'm also writing this because it's the kind of thing I would've like to have read when I was struggling with my decisions.

I've been quietly reading posts from this website since I had my ski accident (Jan '14) and it's been so incredibly helpful...and I guess it's my turn to post something to try to help folks understand that recovery can be long and frustrating...and it's completely normal.

Dealing with this all kinda sucks, but I do know if I do what I'm supposed to do...it's all going to be OK. As a matter of fact, I'm feeling pretty good after writing this.

Feel free to comment or quietly ponder...thanks!

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,427
    Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• TWynnBTTWynnB Posts: 265
    edited 08/10/2015 - 2:42 PM
    I had surgery 12/8/14, went back to work 2/2/15, and finally left work again 7/8/15 for 3-6 months. I am *not* the typical case, so I don't discuss it much so I don't scare people. But I should've taken longer off, although I'm not sure if I did it would've made a difference.
    Now, to figure out what to do in my free time when I'm supposed to take it easy!

ACDF w/Corpectomy C3-6 12/8/14 ; Laminectomy C3-6  5/19/2016

• I had c3 through c7 removed and replaced in Oct of 2013 i now have 10 screws and 12" of titanium went back to work one year ago now I'm going to have to go back off work because of numbness in left hand coming back. I will never be the same
    C3 through C7