Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

C2-T2 posterior fusion and complications, anyone? possible revision

I've been concerned about a protrusion in my spine around the c7-T2 area. I found a picture of my incision post staple removal after a c2-T2 posterior fusion and took it to PM dr. today. He had been thinking a screw was just poking because I'm kind of skinny and there`s no fat there. Now he does think there's an issue or two that may require revision. That's all he really said then ordered a CT with contrast. Does anyone know anything about revision? What could be happening and are there anything's it could be other than failed fusion? He had said I had fused. I do have 100% confidence in him. Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated. Thank you,

• I had ACDF C4_7 and Feb 3rd 2015 c2-t2 posterior fusion and now it looks like it has failed and I need revision. Has anyone experience? I'm not sure if it's the fusing or hardware or even screws coming out. In June I got pneumonia and had hemoglobin of 8.4 and anemia and still have anemia. Malnutrition. Anyone have some advice? Sympathy :)
  • WonderboytwiceWWonderboytwice Posts: 149
    edited 08/11/2015 - 5:29 AM
    Hello Lora.

I had the above operation 20 months ago and when I saw my Neurosurgeon in London some 3 weeks ago he informed me that fusion had taken place 100%. He did tell me when I had the operation that it would take some 18 months to fuse correctly and not to become impatient. Having undergone your operation only 6 months ago I would think it is far too soon to say fusion has failed. By the way I have had some 5 spinal operations and only now am I feeling like being almost 100% again.

Best wishes and if I was you I would seek a 2nd opinion!!
  • lawjaw 1809llawjaw 1809 Posts: 13
    edited 08/14/2015 - 5:04 PM
    Thank you for your encouragement. I had CT of cervical and thoracic spine with dye today. They extended the region to include the thoracic due to feeling area below the bulging screw. After the results come back, if negative I will be sent on to a neurosurgeon and believe me, I will get a second opinion. I think my pain management dr. Is thinking a hardware failure vs. fusion failure. I ended up moving in with my mom after being out of work so long. Good news in this area, there is excellent healthcare with superior physician choice and abilities. Sunny south Florida makes a difference! The posterior fusion was so difficult and painful. I can't bare to even think about another posterior procedure. The pain was excruciating. Hopeful , but I do think that a screw has started coming out for some reason. I'm not sure what would cause that and two other unaligned bumps are concerning. Ill keep you informed and if you don't mind I would love a prayer. Thank you!!!!!.