Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Feeling much better

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Good News
Hello everyone,

I wanted to post something here for everyone to read but especially for anyone who is suffering and has not had surgery yet.

I have been suffering with a herniated disc L4-L5, which has been pressing on the nerve whenever I stand upright. I first started having this problem in Jan 07, with the pain going down my right buttock. After unsuccesful chiropractor treatments as well as acupuncture & PT, I decided to go see a surgeon. I was so worried that back surgery would be a horrible thing to have, & kept wondering if I wasnt making a mistake in having it. You know how it goes, when you start telling family & friends/coworkers that you are thinking about back surgery, everyone tells you to be careful with having it done, because they know someone who had a bad experience, or how risky it is, or that you should put it off longer & try something else. They mean well, but sometimes you get to the point where your just done with dealing with the pain, & you want to go for it.

Well, I went for it. On July 1st I had a microdiscectomy, & I have to say I feel a huge releif already. I still have a ways to go in my recovery, but I can say that I see a huge diffrence already. I'm able to stand up without that horrible pain going down my buttock/right leg. It feels great to know that the surgery was the right decision, and helped me regain my life back. I still have a PT program to start in 5 more weeks, & due to my type of work I wont be going back until the end of september, but just to know that I will be able to get back to work & my life again is such a tremendous releif.

If you are in a similar situation as I was, just know that there is hope, you can feel better & get your life back, the surgery can be a blessing, and not the dark cloud that sometimes overtakes you as you think about if it's the right thing to do or not.

I took great comfort in coming here & reading what others had to say, so I wanted to post something positive also. I hope reading this helps to comfort anyone who is having doubts or is very worried about surgery.

Take care & GOD bless. Joe