Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Who Prescribes?

CRASH21CCRASH21 Posts: 139
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:19 AM in Pain Medications
I received my first prescription from the emergency room. The second on my follow up visit with my PCP. Then after seeing the NS, I assumed he would be taking over my care, including any pain meds I would need. The NS office has directed me back to my PCP for refills. Is this common practice? I assumed the NS would be taking care of all of my care related to my spine.
advertisement

Comments

• NS could give scripts after surgery.Even then it'd be for limited time.This is when PM doc's come in.Do you see one?
  • Hey Crash,

Check the bottle to verify there are no refills listed. If you told the NS what you were taking they will cede to the script writer to avoid you overmedding yourself.

Paul
  • No, I do not have a PM doc. My pain management is my surgeries sometime in the future. NS sees no point in ESI. Said for me it would just be a bandaid. Just waiting for follow-up appts and insurance approval.
  • NS usually only handle meds right after surgery, anything after that is your PCP or PM doc. Many people recquire pain meds beyond what the NS is willing to Rx, it seems that they expect the pain to be gone in the minimal amount of time...does not always happen. Try to ensure that you have one person Rxing pain meds at a time, so it does not raise any red flags with your insurance or state, plus that way there is no overlap in medications.
  • He prescribed Percocet 10's right out of the hospital I do believe it was 90 of them, I was told they would re-fill meds for 2 months post surgery then I would need to follow up with my PCP or a PM, I called my PCP but she said she didn't feel she knew enuff to get involved in my pain management so I had to see my PM.
  • Certainly seems to vary by country. Where I am my surgeon prescribed all pain medication right through until I didn't need any more (talking about post surgery here). I was happy with this as I felt that he understood my situation better than other other person.
    Keep positive!

Bruce

...an old timer here and ex-moderator

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 10,047
    As Bruce stated, not only does it vary by Country it can vary by Doctors.

During a 21 year period of time when I had 4 of my surgeries, all performed by the same doctor, he was in control of my medications. I would have flare ups between surgeries and my Neurosurgeon was the one who wrote the scripts for
    - Pain Medications
    - Muscle Relaxers
    - Sleep Aids
    - etc
    But it was until three years ago, after going to a Pain Management doctor (Psychiatrist) do all that change. My PM
    took total control of my situation including all medications.
    I found that to be best for me, because she could over see everything, from any surgical procedure, conservative treatments, therapy, etc.
    But as I started with, handling all of this does vary from doctor to doctor.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • My PCP handles any pain meds and has since 2 months after surgery. Although most of my pain is gone I still get very achy and the morning can be very hard. At this point plain Tylenol does not cut it and I am sure it is because I have needed pain meds for quite a while. So even though I only need occasional my PCP has a better understanding that things dont just stop hurting overnight.
  • I'm really surprised that you are able to get medications from more than one doctor... Is it pain medication that you are getting from them?
advertisement