Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Spondy Surgery Coming Soon

Hi all...I am scheduled for MIS L5 S1 lamanectomy, diskectomy and spinal fusion Thursday 8/13/15. I have been in chronic pain since a work injury July 2014 and I am hoping to finally be out of constant pain with this surgery. I know everyone is different, however I am trying to figure out how long I will be out of work. My Dr. said when I asked him that " we will talk about it" so I am assuming many things are factored into the decision to release me back to full status. My job requires standing, stooping, bending and lifting up to 60 lbs. It also requires long hours during holiday time, which is right around the corner! Since most of what I just described is not allowed for 6 wks, I am assuming I will not be released any time soon after the procedure.
I will gladly accept any information and would love to hear any and all recovery stories. Thanks so much for listening!

• Hi , First off, I wish you all the best and a FAST recovery on your impending procedure! Try to remember that the recovery is somewhat like a journey
    and not a race. You'll arrive i.e. recover, at the pace determined by your own bodies ability to heal.
    As for returning to work, I would follow your Physicians recommendation to the letter! By personal experience, I would error on the conservative side and remain off work as long as possible. I was released in 9 weeks , went back in 10 and wished I'd returned in 12. This wasn't due to any
    inability to perform my job, but I was still a little stiff and the extra 2 weeks would have been nice.
    Regarding the BLT"S - bending, lifting and twisting, I would definitely avoid those movements for as long as prescribed. I had a challenge with this as I'm a fairly active person used to doing everything. However , because I didn't want to repeat this ADVENTURE twice , I gave in to allow help.
    Allow everyone around to assist as it will greatly help in the healing process.
    As for how I'm doing , exactly 1 year to the day? GREAT. Would I do it again? Absolutely! So yes, there are success stories out there.
    About me; 53 yo HWP active - Golf, Gym, Mtn Biking etc. - male.
    I hope this helps! Feel free to PM me for additional information!!
    Bilateral L5 spondylolysis L5 with grade I anterolisthesis L5-S1.
    Stable multilevel degenerative spondylosis contributing to mild canal
    narrowing L2-3 and L3-4.
    360 ALIF & PLIF L-4 - S-1 on 8/11/14