Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Spinal Stenosis Exercise

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Spinal Stenosis

I'm 49 and have been diagnosed with severe Spinal Stenosis
I have no lower back pain but sciatica numbness and tingling in the left leg. I just finished a series of 3 Lumbar Epidurals which typically last for about a month. I've opted to not have the decompression spinal surgury at this point. My question is about exercise i've switched my land exercise routine to aqua aerobics I use the special shoes and I feel this helps my back. I would like to know if I could incorporate some weight training machines ect. when I even lift groceries or one of our cats my feet tingle and I have slight pain.I would like to know What additional exercise have worked for other people with this condition without triggering the symptoms?

Thank you!

• I'm not a dr or a PT, but I can tell you that the exercises my PT has me doing has helped a lot. The exercises all have to do with strengthening the core muscles (ie abdominals, back and hips. I used to go to a pilates class and that really helped too. You might want to get a referral to a PT so that you are taught the right way to do the exercises and are monitored until you're strong enough to do them on your own. It's an investment but if you can afford it well worth it. Providing of course that you find the right physical therapist. Mine not only had me exercising, but also did spinal manipulation and deep tissue massage. I had tried all 3 seperately at different times but together they had made a huge difference. Good Luck!