Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Fusion of sacrum with ilium?

I apparently have an extra bit of bone on my sacrum which is potentially rubbing against my ilium causing.me.pain. Does anyone know anything.about a.fusion of those two bones and if it is a possibility???

• Yes it is! Look up SI joint fusion or the iFuse system. There are quite a few people on here who have gotten one and I'm currently looking into getting one. Your sacrum and ilium form a joint called the sacroiliac joint or SI joint (SIJ).

• Okay thank you. I'll do that. Which surgeons are you looking into? Or planning to have treatment with? Or any others you can recommend?
  • Also do fusions limit movement or have any other complications, as I am a keen sportswoman, and will need enough movement to be able to run and play squash without limitations.
  • Fusions tend to be a last resort as far as I know. Injections, physical therapy, nerve ablations, massage are some conservative options.

I doubt a surgeon will even consider you as a candidate unless you've done some of these.

I have tried all that I mentioned except ablation and they didn't provide long term relief. That seems to be rare though, that these don't work. I have asymmetric sacroiliitis. Degeneration on left and sclerosis on the right. On the right I also have a sacroilization of L5.
    I'm currently going to an ortho surgeon to hopefully get a fusion. Only on the right for now. The other isn't painful enough for me to consider it yet.

My understanding is that yes it can (and probably will) cause physical limitations including limited or lowered range of motion.

Best of luck

• Okay thank you. I have tried injections, physio and massage as well as many other things, none of which have provided relief. I think I probably need to discuss it with a surgeon and they will be able to tell me if I am a suitable candidate. He will of course know all the side effects too. Thank you for your help. I hope things work out for you too.