Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

What kind of doctor are you seeing? Orthopedic specifically...

I am trying to figure out what kind of orthopedic surgeon I should be seeing for my SIJ.
I went to a spine specialist and was told he won't even look at my SIJ and he has referred me to a hip and knee specialist. I'm just curious what kind of doctor is common for treating SI joints?



  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,839
    A spine specialist, pain management doctor, neurosurgeon, orthopedic surgeon, etc are all qualified to deal with sacroiliac joint conditions

    Take a look at these medical articles:

    Sacrolliac Joint problems

    Sacrolliac Joint anatomy

    Spine Anatomy Video
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Gee when I see someone so young dealing with pain it makes me feel guilty for even talking about mine.
    Have you found anything that helps you? I know ice has become my only tool to this point except for pain
    medication. I am trying so hard to limit that but this pain has taken its toll.
    SI-joint is sort of new to me in that I have only experienced this type/level of pain for the past year or so.
    It has been an eye opener for me, I thought I had back pain before but if what I am dealing with is SI-joint
    my heart goes out to everyone who is or has dealt with it. I still do not have a clear diagnosis after seeing
    five different Doctor's a Back surgeon, orthopedic, pain specialists and several injections, therapy, swimming, many other
    things with no relief.
    My experience so far here in Utah after a ton of research is that they don't want
    to recognize it as a source of pain and finding a Doctor that specializes in this has yet
    to happen for me.
    I just brought that up because I don't know if it is just my luck or where I live but hopefully you will be able to locate one that
    Ron has suggested that can help you. I wish you the best in getting some help soon, for me this pain has
    topped the pain chart. I would give anything to go back to the pain I had before.
    I have used the tools on this web-site which have been excellent information but when it comes to each of us it is not that clear cut
    what is going on. If you get a minute they can be really helpful and they do give you ideas for the different Doctor's.
    Please let me know as I will you if you come across any ideas or suggestions to help you.
    Take care Sherri
  • kdmkkdm Posts: 1
    edited 08/22/2015 - 4:47 PM
    I started having problems at 30 or so--I have been to see every kind of Dr. under the sun, only recently was I told it was my SI joints. I have had 3 Orthopedic doctors in 4 years. Physical therapy didn't work, I had hip injections and the relief lasted 10 days--The last ortho said he would send me to get an ablation, but that's it--no more options. This can't be true? I know everyone is different, but is there another type of Dr. I should be looking in to? I am going to revisit the chiropractor, I haven't been since we pinpointed that it was in fact my SI joint. I don't want pain meds, I don't want surgery--am I barking up the wrong tree? After reading through the comments, it seems people are on so much medication--Aleve seems to be the best type of OTC but it is eating my stomach up.

    Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!
    ~ spine-health moderator, savage
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,839
    based on what your symptoms and medical condition is.

    Those are nice words, but IF you dont know what your problem is, then what doctor should you really be seeing?

    I believe that your first stop should always be with your Primary Care Physician. I look at them as your generalist and they are great in trouble shooting various problems. As you move up the ladder in terms of specialists, you may also risk having a doctor that is looking at one specific area, without looking at the total picture.

    As I said, your PCP is almost your best bet. Let them decide on what doctor you should see next.

    So many of the different medical disciplines overlap. The Spinal specialist, the Neurosurgeon, the Orthopedic surgeon, etc all are versed in diagnosing spinal related problems. So, seeing any one of the above should not take away from founding the root of the problem.

    But what is also so very important, is the relationship you will establish with your doctor. You just dont want to be another patient number, you want to be known as you, the person And likewise, you want to know your doctor to the point you feel comfortable telling them anything.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I went from my primary physician who is in internal medicine to an orthopedic surgery on who then referred me to a neurologist who sent me to physical therapy which, after all of that, landed me in the hands of a pain management doctor who is (luckily) also skilled in orthopedic surgery and well versed on neurology. I guess I got lucky. He's the only doctor I've been making progress with towards relief. Still in the diagnostic stages, but narrowing things down and setting a more concrete treatment plan.
  • joowee40joowee40 Mississippi Posts: 99
    I too would like to know the answer to this question. I have seen an Ortho who its your SI joint lets do nerve shots to see if that is so and when that didn't work, said your bulging disc at L4 L5 is the generator and we need to do a fusion which scared me to move on to a Neuro who said that bulge is not something I am ready to do surgery on and I think its your SI Joint that is generating, lets do shot in the joint which didn't make magic either. Now my neck and shoulders are all involved and I am feeling hopeless and hate to be Dr jumping and costing me so much money for them to do nothing. I cannot decide if I need to plod forward with another neuro or an ortho.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,839
    of personal preference most of the time.

    Both Neurosurgeons and Orthopedic Surgeons perform various types of spinal surgery. Both are qualified, technically speaking.

    It does sound like you do not have a formal diagnosis. One doctor believes it this, the other says something else. What were the analysis of all your diagnostic tests? What did each doctor say... And then why were there differences in their outlook?

    It can be a difficult task to narrow the problem down to the root cause. And many times that means several doctor visits and various diagnostic tests to isolate the problem.

    Neurosurgeon vs Orthopedic Surgeon.

    I have my own , personal, non-medical view on this.
    When it comes down to the spinal cord and nerves, I am going with the neurosurgeon. When its more fuson and bone involved, then I would probably see the orthopedic surgeon
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
Sign In or Register to comment.