Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Horrific upper back pain and difficulty breathing!

ClarinetgirlCClarinetgirl Posts: 189
edited 08/22/2015 - 10:17 AM in Upper Back Pain, Thoracic
Hello everyone! I just under went a L5-S1 PLIF on May 22nd 2015. I was told in the hospital that I have a new disc herniation and it is in my thoracic spine!! For about a year i have dealt with upper and lower back pain. But i always thought that because my lower back is so messed up that maybe that was what was causing my upper back pain. Ever since my fusion i would say for the past month my upper back pain has gotten significantly worse every single day. I have been experiencing chest numbness for about 6 months now. But recently I have been having trouble breathing! Like i cant get enough oxygen in my lungs! It is horrific to fell like I cant get enough oxygen in my lungs and sometimes it can last for hours!! I was wondering if anyone else has experienced difficulty breathing? I was also wondering if anyone has experienced chest numbness/pain???
L5-S1 Emergency PLIF Revision May 26th 2015
L5-S1 PLIF May 22nd 2015.
L5-S1 Discectomy Feb 27th 2015.
L5-S1 Discectomy Oct 30th 2014.

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,476
    edited 08/22/2015 - 6:09 PM
    It might help if you looked into some of the videos on this site, about your thoracic areas.

I did that, and I can not think of which one was most helpful to me, sorry.
    But I too have shortness of breath at times...I do not have numbness of chest.

And, just to say, maybe not all symptoms are spine related. You might want a general check up.

In my early forties I had my first cardiac MI. The pain was like a fist from my chest going through my upper back.
    I spent hours pounding on my chest for relief of numbness more than the pain. I know that makes no sense., but I wish I could have reached and pounded on my back, also. Two hours of that and waiting for it to go away, I went to ER.

I was told that is common cardiac symptom for women, as women can experience atypical symptoms.
    Sometimes I think whatever issue is screaming the loudest in my body, it is the main focus and problem, so I never thought of heart condition...out of nowhere.

Please know, I am in no way diagnosis you nor trying to frighten you. Only to say, it might be worth a doctor assessment and guidance and or reassurance. And I'm only relaying my personal experiences.

Please keep us posted on how you are doing!
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History