Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Daily pain journal

Not sure if this will be helpful to anyone but I had the idea to write and log my daily pain and what I am doing about it here . Tomorrow I have my appointment to see my orthopedic and at that time we will go over my Mri results which state that there is herniated nucleus pulposis extending into the medial aspect of the right neural foramen with a 3x4x5 mm fragment at my c5-6 level and severe narrowing of the medial aspect of the right foramen. The only meds that I am on are hydrocodone 5/325 and otc ibuprofen, and I just finished my pack of oral steroid. So here it goes:
Wednesday 8/12/15 woke up this morning with horrible cramp like pain in my right fold of my elbow and burning behind my right shoulder took 1 hydro and 1 Advil stayed in bed for 10 min then got up and used my washcloth soaked in ice water to the my c 5-6 area on the back of my neck, at awaking my pain level was a good 8-9 ,it has eased now to a 6 and hopefully will go down to a 5.
C5-6 Acdf

• It's now 6:30 and my pain went back up to a 8 it is now my trap and shoulder that hurts my elbow is better, just took 1/2 of a hydrocodone tablet, hoping this helps. :(
    C5-6 Acdf
  • Hi Wolfpack, question: do you know how you injured your disc and when you first started having symptoms? I had a whiplash type injury back in February when I accidentally bumped my head on a new shelf we had installed, I had the usual neck stiffness and some pain moving my head but nothing too crazy the symptoms lasted about 2 weeks and just stopped as fast as it came on.. In May I woke up with the same stiffness and pain one morning and thought that i had just slept wrong but it was getting progressively worse and I finally went to my pcp who then referred me to pt for 6 sessions, it did help with my mobility but the neck pain really never went away. So I just kind of ignored it and went about my life "I am a hairstylist so I do a lot of repetitive motions involving my arm and shoulder I should add". 3 weeks ago we went on vacation and we had a 14 hour ride in the car we got to our destination and the next morning upon waking I thought that someone had literally sawed off my right arm, I can't even describe the pain I had from my neck to my hand and there was no feeling in my thumb,part of my palm and forearm which I still have today.. Could it really be possible that just that bump on my head could of caused all this? Sorry about all the rambling but I'm just so frustrated...
    C5-6 Acdf
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,836
    based on your diagnostic reports?

At this point, you seem to be controlling things with relatively mild pain medications. The 5mg is the amount of hydrocodone in the pill, while the 325 represents the amount of Tylenol. Hopefully that can continue.

There are so many conservative treatments available that can also help manage any spinal situation. Besides those types of treatments, I always like to talk about the The Blend
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I have my follow- up appointment tomorrow morning with my orthopedic doctor to go over my mri report I'm not even sure what exactly is wrong with my c5-6 just what I could read.. I'm curios to see what he says.. The " blend" thing is very interesting thank you for sharing, I just hate the thought of having to take narcotics but it is for now the only thing that helps me with the pain for now other then the oral steroid I took..
    C5-6 Acdf
  • I injured myself at the gym lifting too much weight for my age. The original injury was in 2011 and started out as a cervical disk bulge and a minor tear in the shoulder. I had the neck corrected in November of 2014 and the shoulder fixed in April of 2015.

You are going to get a lot of different opinions on this subject even within the medical community. My advice would be to see a neurosurgeon as soon as possible and to regard his or her opinion above all others. If you can afford to see two of them all the better.

• The torn disc is not going to heal, ever. There are no forms of physical therapy, no injections, medicine or any other nonsurgical treatment that can make it better. Keep tracking your pain preferably on a spreadsheet and be sure to record it before and after pain medicine. I used to track mine in the morning afternoon and night.

Given the situation as described I would recommend that you move on to a neurosurgeon and also get a referral to a pain management clinic. I suspect that you are headed for surgery and that can take a few months for that happen. Post surgery pain and healing can also last a long time.

While everyone is different I would guess that you will be on pain medicine everyday until the condition is corrected and at least three months after that. A pain management doctor is more equipped than your normal doctor to handle this.

If it were me I would get surgery as fast as possible once you have selected a neurosurgeon that you have confidence in and I would discontinue any treatments on the neck without his or her approval, you can only make it worse.

The good news is that it sounds like you have a treatable condition. The sooner you get it taken care of the shorter your recovery will be.

Good luck,