Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Muscle relaxers

cla_guaccla_gua Posts: 187
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Pain Medications
Any one out there have any good experiences with certain muscle relaxers. I am looking for a muscle relaxer that works on the muscle spasms only and doesn't knock me out. Any good experiences appreciated.

I sound like a personal ad in the classifieds.

Clarissa
advertisement

Comments

• Clarissa , I only have experience with 2 and they are flexiril and soma and both of those make me very tired. Just talk to your doc and let him know your concerns and I am sure that he will be able to help you out. Keep us posted....take care....Miki
  • Flexeril is the only one I've tried and the first couple weeks on it, it made me very sleepy, then I guess my body just became adjusted because now it works very well and doesn't make me the least bit drowsy. Do talk to your doctor and hopefully you'll find the one that works best for you.

I'm three weeks post-op ACDF 2 levels and as long as I take Flexeril faithfully, it cuts down on the muscle spasms in my shoulders significantly. Last week when I was trying to do some work at my computer I found that when I wasn't taking it regularly (3x/day) I'd have horrible pain. Bad me.

Good luck. May we all be pain free!

Monique
  • monique- I took flexeril for the first three months after my initial injury. I had to get off it because one of the side-effects I experienced was depression. I also became mentally dependent to it. It made me feel so out of it and doopy.

I need a muscle relaxer to take care of my daily spasms. I just want one that works well with the muscle and nothing else. Like my mind and energy.

Thanks for your experience and I am glad it works well for you.

Clarissa
  • I take Restavit to help with tense, sore muscles, and also to aid sleep.
    Sometimes I take 1/4 tablet, 1/2 or a whole one.
    The effect varies each time.
    A 1/4 might help me sleep one night, whereas on another occasion one whole tablet has no effect, as far as sleep goes.
    When I have muscle problems, I can take a whole tablet and not get sleepy, as it just cancels out the pain.
    Peoples reactions to drugs varies enormously, even day by day, so you may need to experiment a bit to find the best one for you.
    Your chemist may also be able to advise.
  • My neuro switched me from flexeril to Bacolfen. For me it works much better, and not as sleepy side effects. Good luck, a everyone is different to their reactions to meds
  • Flexeril made my wife sleepy, but almost everything does.

My PCP, ortho and both neuros I've seen have all had me on Skelaxin 800mg 3x's a day... Doesn't make me sleepy, and does a good job. I knew the difference when I ran out and had to wait to get my refill though.

I'm also 5-weeks out from c6-c7 ACDF, and that's all I have taken - Looks like I'm the only one here not on flexeril - LOL

• RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 814
    worked adequate for me after my acdf and lumbar laminectomy. I'm sure there are a lot more options out there also Clarissa. Talk to your Dr on which one may work best for you.
    Ranger
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,587
    Over the past 30 years I have tried many different muscle relaxers:

Rhobaxin Effective, but after years of using it on/off, it seems to have lost its effectiveness

Flexeril Works well, but I've always felt too 'drugged' up and doopey the following day. I always had trouble doing what I needed to do.

Soma It work ok, but I found that it relaxed all muscles including the eye. I could not read when I was on Soma.

Zanaflex Saving the best for last! I've been using it now for over a year (4mg 1am 1pm) and it helps with all my spasms. It does make me tired and when I first started using it, I could just about fall asleep standing up.

The effectiveness and pros/cons of many medications vary so much from people to people. Its important to have a doctor who is willing to work with you to find that 'right' medication that is going to address the problem(s) that you are trying to manage.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Robaxin did not make me sleepy, slightly loopy(-ier) than normal but not sleepy...

Flexeril- makes almost everyone groggy but not me, lol, i've been on it too long, it doesn't work...There is also Amrix- the ER version of flexeril

Zanaflex- makes most people groggy

Skelaxin- doesn't make people tired but didn't do squat for me

I actually need a new muscle relaxer and am tired of going over the same ones over and over again...Good luck!
  • I got good results from Skelaxin but as mention everyone responds differently. :)
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,587
    Also just need to add that while some of these muscle relaxers may not make one person drowsy, that does not mean it will not make you drowsy.

If you look up any of the muscle relaxers that have been posted here and look under side effects, you will always seen
    drowsiness mentioned.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • i was just told that flexeril stops working on a person that has been on it for more then a month it is made for short term use only my new pm took me off them after being on them off and on for the last 25 years so check with yer pm dr and see what they say take care wanda
  • I'm taking 30mg of Amrix (hold on before some one has a cow), which is cyclobenzaprine (flexeril) in time release form...It isn't working...I'm in desperate need of a major med overhaul!

Norgesic is also an option, didn't make me sleepy...Honestly, my clonopin has made the best muscle relaxer or valium. But I'm going back to the drawing boards...

• Thanks everyone for your great advice. I have an appt. tomorrow for trigger point injections. My PM Dr. had prescribed Cafgesic (Durabac). It did nothing but make me really tired. My mother-in-law works for a family Dr. and he gave me some samples of Celebrex. I did some research on it and apparently it is really bad for your heart. My father had two major heart attacks at the age of 54. But it work great. I mean wonderful. I felt like nothing had ever happened to me. Like I had my whole life back. I am going to talk to my PM Dr tomorrow about it I hope I he can prescribe it to me.
  • Skelaxcin is rather mild but it shouldn't :) make you too drowsy
  • for me... my script of flexi is 3-10mg prn ive been on this for awhile, does not make me tired (maybe it used to but not anymore)i have to take this during the day its kinda like my breakthru pain reliever for tight muscles. yes i do take 30 mg at one time like fancypants but mine are just regular flexeril 10 mg tab.some days i need them some days i dont,
    know they have me taking klonopin, for the muscle pain because it has gotten worse.. first 3 days it made me tired now doesnt make me tired at all just relaxes my muscles and helps with my headaches. i dont think my flexi could ever get me addicted to them but.. this klonopin im watching my Ps & Qs
    i cant believe the doc gave me a 5 month refill on the klonopin 60 a month,my regular doc was out that day so i seen a diff one in his office, my doc is gonna have a fit i bet i go see him on thur. so will see maybe its not a becareful med as i call them...

for me. just my thinking the ultram i take every morning makes my other meds work alot diff then the so called usual side effects, but i have been on ultram for over 10 years.
    i dont know
    my med list is lunesta 3mg at bed on empty tummy or forget it
    ultram 50mg 2 @ 5am and 2@ 10or11am
    klonopim 1mg prn up to 4 times a day
    flexi 10 mg three tab prn up to 2 times a day
    vico ? on mg prn havent taken one in couple weeks)makes me hyper-but helps with pain good for day pain,bad for nite pain.
    trazadone 50mg tab can take up to 5 if needed for sleep- once in awhile i will take break from lunesta and take 3 tabs but i have to be careful because they mix funny with my ultram and i take my ultram every day. thanks fer letting me put this on here its good for me to bring to my attention what im taking what its doin and what what whatever..

• I'll 2nd the baclofen idea; it's the only one that helps with my spasms but doesnt make me drowsy, just have to make sure to get the dosage right. It also has the side effect of helping to get rid of the 'buzz' or whatever people get from opiates, so dr's sometimes love to Rx baclofen instead of soma and other typical muscle relaxers.
advertisement