Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

don't know what to think

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Fibromyalgia
i went to my fam doc and ran just blood work and results came in, everything looks fine.
she keeps telling me that because i am going through to much at one time that this could be the reason that i am feeling these symptoms. she just told me to write everything down and to keep track of it. how long did you have to wait until you were diagnosed with fibro?
how did you get the doc to listen instead of assume? i feel lost when no one listens. i will be seeing a shrink next week and will bring my journal for him to read and lets see how well that goes. could he recommend to the doc for a referral to a ra?
so many questions so little answers.

• I can feel your frustration, but keep plugging at it. It took me about 6 months before I got my dx as well as Myofasial pain syndrome. My doctors have been very good and for that I am very grateful, because I am not crazy. I also did a pain dairy and thought that it would be helpful, come to find out the doctor really did not care. I did find though that writting was helpful for me. Just another tool to use when things get to much. Putting pen to paper does help.
    I hope the shrink will be able to direct you to the right doctor, be that a RA or ??? it is that you need. Getting a dx is hard work. Please keep us posted and at least we are not alone.
  • I was diagnosed on my 2nd visit. I guess it really depends on your Rhuemy. Good luck I know how you must feel! I must say I did have this along time and seen alot of docs before sending me to a Rheumy.
  • Sorry to hear you're having such a cr*ppy time right now!! I had symptoms for years before my doctor actually referred me to a rheumatologist, and he diagnosed me on my first visit to him. I was able to provide him with a great history of how things progressed, which areas of my body were affected, my sleep was non-existent at the time, etc.

Interestingly enough, I've seen three rheumatologists in the past month; two I was referred to one after the other, and another I was sent to for an Independent Medical Eval for my LTD. All of them have said I do NOT fulfil criteria for fibro right now, and basically UNdiagnosed me.

It's such a tricky disease; your best bet is to keep up on the journalling, as your history tells it all.

Take care, and GOOD LUCK girl.

• What are your symptoms? I would ask for a referral for a rheumatologist. I had Fibro for probably a really long time before I got diagnosed (like over a year). I always suspected it, but didn't have enough tender points to make a case of it. After my knee injury, I had developed a ton of unexplained pain there, and now I know part if the issue was a tender point there that was causing so much pain. I actually talked to my spinal dr. b/c I was getting nowhere fast, and kind of needed to vent my frustration at him regarding my knee doc b/c I felt he wasn't hearing me. NOW I think I know WHY he wasn't hearing me!

Anyway, my spine doc referred me to a rheumatologist and I was diagnosed on the first visit there. I told him I had been searching the internet, reading books, talking to people, felt the tender points (I counted 16 before I saw him, and he counted 16 also!). I also wrote a pain journal, and used it at the spine dr. and showed my rheumy. He really didn't look at it; I think he genuinely knew I wasn't making my symptoms up and diagnosed me after doing the tender point test.

Keep going...IF one dr. doesn't believe you or you feel you aren't listened to, then move on. Don't waste your time. By the time I got diagnosed (June 9) I was so fed up that I actually clapped my hands when he diagnosed me. I practically had a party that night b/c finally I had a name for what was wrong, I wasn't making it up and he is treating the pain with Flexeril and Vicodin!

Now, I've gone through the grieving process. First I'd say I was shocked but not entirely so, since I suspected it for a while. I was prob. more shocked b/c someone finally listened to me. I told my employer this and almost feared for my job b/c she thought I had restrictions. I don't really, but I have to worry about the long hours at work, and pace myself so I am not too tired by the end of the night. Same thing at home....too much work and I am going to be TIRED for the rest of the week and in pain!