Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

HELP! lower back to leg pain

Based BarneyBBased Barney Posts: 1
edited 08/14/2015 - 11:31 PM in Lower Back Pain
I have not seen any topics about this so i thought maybe someone could help me.

I am 15 yr old and injured my back very severely at a football practice, it was after a good play me and my fried made i jumped up to shoulder bump him and when i came down i felt a very sharp instant pain down my leg starting on my lower right hand side of my back. It was sore before but never in my life have i felt pain like this. It kind of felt like i tore something but i don't know if it is that anymore. Its been 4 weeks since i hurt it and I've done everything i am not supposed to do including tire flipping, running, jumping, and even a little bit of lifting. i have told my parents and my coach and of course they think I'm being dramatic but I've had concussions, broken bones, torn muscles and a pulled muscles and nothing has ever hurt this bad. I have gone to one doctor that took an X-ray and a physical test and nothing came up but advised to get an MRI which i think is not needed.

I have also gone to a physical therapist who has stretched me out and told me how he has never seen someone so tight in their back, he thinks that i have a torn muscle in my back but also thinks that theres something going on in my QL which an injured disc could be in there. After going to him nothing feels better.

My mom has sciatica and a herniated disc and explains how her pain goes down towards her foot but mine only goes to the back of my knee, however sometimes i feel a little numbness and twitching in my foot/toes. She believes its a problem with my SI joint or possibly a alight disc herniation. What i have read up on suggests it could be 1 of 3 things; a torn Internal Oblique and torn Gluteus, a herniated disc, or a problem with my SI joint.

Also not sure if this is important or not but the pain is in my lower back, hip, hamstring, back of the knee and occasionally my lower leg. It also appears to be worsened at night and in the morning and i have taken an anti inflammatory (just basic aspirin)

any info would help so much thank you!

Welcome to Spine-Health
Please click on link for helpful information!
~ spine-health moderator, savage

• It's tough to be a 15 year old athlete and in pain. You need to talk to your parents again and tell them that your pain is not any better. You say that the doctor recommended an MRI, which in many cases is the only way to diagnose disc problems or other issues that might be happening. Without a proper diagnosis, it is hard to treat, devise a therapy program etc. It is good that you are avoiding the physical activities that they told you to avoid (because you could injure yourself even more). Please talk to them again and ask them to follow up with what the doctor recommended or to take you back to the doctor because you haven't improved. Best wishes.