Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

C-Pap machines

I am not sure this is the right Forum and I did use the search but found no information there.
I use a C-path machine which is huge and old but does the trick.
What I am looking for is a smaller portable type that you can take over night if need be.
Maybe we can't put names here of machines so this might in violation if so I am sorry.
Any suggestions without using names would be great.
Thanks Sherri

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,865
    edited 08/14/2015 - 7:11 AM
    Just search on portable cpap machines... There are dozens of brands...
    Though they are not cheap ($199-$799)
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Thanks Ron
    I did do that and you are right there are tons of them.
    I was maybe trying to find out a type since I know we cannot post stores.
    I will keep looking just want to find one so when I do get to travel I can rely on it.
    This is what I use

Tubing, headgear, etc all fit into a carry on case that is smaller than most Laptop cases. We have taken this on all of our vacations.
  • Hope3HHope3 Posts: 752
    edited 08/15/2015 - 1:05 PM
    That is so nice of you I am going to check it out.
    I have not went any where for about two years but hope to and the one I have now is huge.
    I wanted one that I could take and not rely on others, one of those independent things.
    Anyway thanks so much
  • Please don't get angry with me and I know I am loosing it mentally and you have always tried to help me which I appreciate a lot. I have a lot going on in my life right now and am so desperate to be able to leave here when needed which requires me to have a travel C-pap machine. For example my niece committed suicide a few weeks ago and even with my current health I wanted to travel the two hrs to spend some time with her Mom. The thing that prevented it was not being able to put my big machine in the back of my truck.
    I really researched looking for that machine you were kind enough to give me the picture etc. I am not asking for any brand names or web-sites but I have done a search and been unable to find this machine. I know for a lot of reasons I am not thinking clear right now but I thought maybe they stopped making that one. So all I am asking you do you know if they are still making it then I will keep looking.
    I even called the company but they were little help.
    Sorry Ron won't bug you again with this.
    edited 09/20/2015 - 11:19 AM
    I just sent you a message with some more information
  • Sheri76Sheri76 Michigan Posts: 497
    Ron....My sleep clinic is quite strict on periodic checking of machines and equipment. The other week I went in for yearly checkup, hoping I wouldn't have to drag all my stuff in...mine is heavier old one, no chip, and I'm still having difficulty from lumbar fusion surgery carrying weighty things (six months and a gallon of water is still too much).

I was curious if your sleep clinic is strict in their regulations also, not that I'm complaining about mine, I see for health reasons why it's necessary... just thought maybe some states were different. I'm very thankful I don't live in a state where they won't issue car insurance for people with sleep apnea, though I see commercial truck drivers that have sleep apnea have to have their sleep chips checked regularly.

• Sheri76
    It is such a pain to try to take the big machines anywhere right? I cannot do it and there have been several times I needed or wanted to leave and that made it impossible. I am from Utah and have never heard of the things you talk about like not being able to drive and what is the chip thing about?
    My neighbor got in a car accident and really bad one that is when he found out he had sleep apnea. I never knew you could be effected by it when you are awake. I learned a lot and it does make sense when you think about it.
    I believe there are a lot of people out there both the ones on meds and others that should be on these machines but are not. One of my friends refused to get one since she has low oxygen due to meds and she ended up in ER with pneumonia was very sick. I don't think they tell people how serious it can be or make them even aware of it.
    So you have to take your machine in to have it checked out I have never heard of that either. Mine is like four years old and when I call to get it checked out they tell me no it is alright but I worry.
    Hope you can find a easier way so you don't have to struggle like that.
    Take care
    All through the same company and Insurance carrier.
    Those early machines were large and their water chamber was separate so it was quite bulky.

I now have been using the same machine for the past 3 years. I 'own' the machine. After 18 months of insurance and chip output readings, I no longer pay for the machine or worry about it. I just pay for supplies (new hoses, nose plugs, filters, etc)

The company I use have me bring it in once a year for any checkups.

As I commented from the beginning, this machine is easily transported. It fits into the same size carrying case as most laptop computers.
    I looked online for info on some states auto iinsurance companies not insuring people that have been diagnosed with sleep apnea, but to no avail. The one I read was probably in early 2000's, so maybe during the years more medical research has made it allowable for people in all states with sleep apnea able to drive. It's going to bug me now until I find out when that change came about, but I won't be calling my car insurance company to find out....I'll ask my sleep clinic.
    I've never seen the chip, but I'm guessing it's similar to a SD card? They track your hours of usage, can even tell if you are using it or just letting it run unused...what an amazing tool. Commercial truck drivers (with sleep apnea) have to have theirs checked often, making sure the driver is getting adequate sleep, keeping roads safer?

I have my original remstar/plus, but I was able to get a different humidifier tank for it....eliminated that ackward boxy chamber one....now the machine sits on platform with small heating plate at end with air outlet...so water tank is much smaller.

I just bought one of those hose hanger things, helps keep hose up out of way, one end tucks under mattress, other goes up like similar to IV drip....I do like that.
    I just read about this sleep apnea treatment in the making....sounds too good to be true. Have you checked into it yet? I'm always skeptical of those asking for money, just seems like if it was a for sure thing, investors would be backing them up all the way.