Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Uh oh--what have I done?

Neck of Steel CindyNNeck of Steel Cindy Posts: 1,064
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
My 70 pound dog was ferociously barking at my brother-in-law who stopped by for a minute. Actually she was barking at the dog that was tied in the back of my brother-in-law's pickup. It was a teeth-baring, low growl, evil look in her eyes kind of reaction that my dog had to his dog, and what do I do? I was not going to let my dog hurt his dog, and I stepped in and grabbed my dog by her collar to get her away from the other one. Stupid!!!!!

I wrestled my dog away, pulled and tugged with all my strength, while she was determined to go the other direction. I fought this dog for about 7 minutes while my brother in law got his dog settled down and drove away. I have a 10 pound weight restriction. What was I thinking?

And now: ouch!!!!!! arms burn, ache, or tingle depending on where, neck has a stabbing pain about the C7 area, throbbing on the side of my neck, and the worst headache I have had post op.

Will someone please hit me over the head? Just put me out of my misery. I'm tired of all of this. I didn't even give it a thought when I was trying to separate a dog fight. All I wanted to do was make sure that both dogs lived another day. Now I want to go out and shoot them both though! Good thing brother-in-law took off with his dog!!!!

I hope it is just that I used muscles that haven't been used for weeks, but I'm really worried here. It has only been an hour, so hopefully things will settle down. The rest of my family just left for the movies and i'm going to spend yet another night alone worried about my neck. Enough already! I don't think I'll ever get back to feeling good again, and I'm sooooo tired of it all.

OK, enough of my venting. I am just at a place right now where I don't know how much more I can take. for now, I'll just make it through tonight and see what tomorrow brings.
Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!

• Awwwww honey, I know just how you feel. That stomach dropping, how could I be so dumb thought and reliving it in your head a million times and kicking yourself. It's o.k. that's how I felt when I fell in the toilet thinking I was on the elevated potty when I wasn't. Try to take your meds, relax and realize it will take a week or two to calm down. Call your doc and explain what happened; he may want a quick x-ray to make sure all is well. I'll say a prayer for you and I'm sending out a hug.
  • Carol, I appreciate your post of encouraging words. Thank you for taking time to give me support. I am still kicking myself for being so stupid, but I can't change it now. Hubby has the collar back on my dog (Sophie), and I have promised that I will not try to break up any other dog fights!!!!

Headache is gone tonight, but my left arm is much worse. I have tried to just keep my mind off of it today. Tomorrow I will call the doc and just report in. I am not scheduled to be seen again until August, but if nothing else, I need this documented in my chart. I'm hoping that after I go to the pool for some therapy tomorrow, my arm will feel better. There is no better feeling than soaking in the hot tub after doing the water therapy! I just hope and pray that it is just a "flareup" and that nothing serious has gone wrong.

Thanks again for the support. I hope you have had a tolerable pain level this weekend!
    Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • I don't think 'breaking up dog fights' is in the physiotherapy recovery process!

I hope you're feeling better today. Take care!
  • I didn't think so, but now I'm wondering. There is no SANE explanation for breaking up a dog fight....Oh no, I must be crazy!
  • Patricia, I am feeling some better today. The headache is gone, so at least I can function. I have some burning along my scapula area, and this is an all too familiar pain, and my arm seems weaker. but then again my symptoms vary so much day to day that this could just be nothing to worry about. I'm hoping that a few days of babying my neck will settle down whatever is going on.

How are you doing now?
  • I was fine up until tonight. I did something really stupid...but of course it was just an accident. I was stepping across from the boat trailer over to the ledge alongside the front yard and missed the ledge. I don't know how I missed it, but I fell pretty hard. My thigh hit the ledge, my face hit the ground and my pinky finger hit something. I guess I was lucky cuz my head was slightly turned and it hit the grass. I landed on the side of my nose and cheek. Not a scratch, but my face just feels a bit funny, like my sinuses behind my cheek are tingly. I don't think there was any kind of whiplash cuz it happened so fast that I didn't even react to brace myself. My neck actually feels fine. However, my leg is absolutely killing me right now. I'm sure I'll have a bruise from top to bottom. I don't think its broken cuz I can stand on it, but it hurts really bad when I bend my waist or my knee. How stupid. I should have never stepped across like that.

Guess we all get our turns.
  • Oh no. That sounds painful. You'll probably be sore tomorrow. I guess the question I have is were you able to go boating? I remember last summer when you were wanting to go out and was worried about how your neck would handle things.

It sounds like a good night for you to lay back and let your hubby take care of you. I hope tomorrow you aren't too sore, and most importantly, I hope no damage was done to your fragile neck.
  • I'm hoping I am okay. Still a little worried. Doctor will be in tomorrow and I'm hoping to get to talk to him. Still concerned about the new arm weakness and increased pain down my shoulder blade. But again, hopefully it isn't anything too serious.

I hope you have had a good day. I'll catch you in chat later.

• Definitely sore today, but my neck still seems to be okay. My leg is absolutely killing me and I've been limping all day. The bruise is already beginning to show. I've got a lump on my right hand & my right pinky hurts when typing, but I think its just bruised also. No comforting last night. :( ..hubby's on the road.

I've been out in the boat 3 times so far this summer. My neck feels fine at the lower speeds (45-50 mph). When we start going faster the tiny little muscles in the front of my neck panic and tighten up (that choking feeling). My left shoulder/neck muscle tightens up after while also. Bumpy waves that are really close together cause a vibrating feeling in my neck...not good. If we go faster I don't feel the bumpy waves. :) I'm good for about a 1/2 hour in the boat and that's it....which is much better than last year so I'm really happy with that! I expect it to get better as the summer goes on...as long as I didn't cause any setbacks with yesterday's fall.

How are you doing Cindy...feeling better yet from the dog fight? You've got some pretty fancy hardware in there. Does the hardware bother you at all?

• Cindy sorry to hear about the mishap with the dogs. I hope things are getting better for you. I see the last post on this thread was Monday. Did you call the doctor and what did they say. Don't beat yourself up to much your reflexes and instinct are going to kick in before you have a chance to analysis whether that is going to hurt or not. I so hear you on will this every stop or go away. I managed to take a good spill the other night while doing something simple walking the dog through a parking lot and must have hit a oil slick and down i went. That black cloud still following me oh well what ya going to do. i"m back up hopefully will catch you in chat latter.