Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

2 1/2 weeks post-op PLIF

Christina69CChristina69 Posts: 534
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hey Spiney friends, :)

It's been 2 1/2 weeks since my L5-S1 fusion with titanium rods, screws, cage, etc.
My incision is approximately 6 inches long and it looks good, no redness or swelling.There is still tape covering the incision though which the nurses told me would fall offon its own. The surgeon did a great job of lining up my tattoo again(He had to slice right through it during the surgery).
I think the first 10 days was the hardest. When someone asked me if there was anything I needed I jokingly told them a gun would be nice...lol.
Since I've been home I've been getting stronger everyday. I still have to use the walker at times. I do walk on my own but when I do I'm a little shakey and my hips get extremely sore.
Still need help showering and getting dressed but getting in and out of bed is easier.
I tried to cutdown on the pain meds but everytime I try I end up in pain again. I take flexeril every eight hours for muscle spasms but I wish it was every 4 hours as the spasms come back before the flexeril is due again. I have a doc. appointment on the 18th, Ill probably ask him if I can up the flexeril to every 4 hours.

Anyway, I'm feeling 200% better than I was just a few days ago. :)

• That is great news Christina. I am glad to hear you are getting on well.

I have a 2 level PLIF in just about 2 weeks now. I take flexerile at night to help me sleep and the keep my muscles from getting frozen and stiff. I am suppose to take them every 6 hours- but I usually only take 1 a day right now.

As I understand it the idea is to stay ahead of the pain while you are healing. Don't stop the pain meds just yet. What are you taking for pain?

Cool that he lined up the tat. I was afraid to get one on my low back because I thought I may end up having surgery there one day ;) Now I will probably get one there to cover the scar.

Your PLIF buddy,

• My surgeon prescribed Percocet 5/325mg 1 or 2 every four or six hours as needed. I generally do the 2 every four hours because if I dont I get breakthrough pain. I've been having trouble sleeping the last couple of nights, it isnt due to pain, I just cant seem to get comfy enough to fall asleep. Ah well, hopefully this will pass. I have to wear my brace 24/7 for 6 weeks then after that the surgeon is suppose to let me know if and when I can start taking it off for awhile.

Christina :)
  • I would love to follow along and see how that goes for you. I am a 27 yr old female who has been having back problems for the last 10 years or so. I just had a bilateral steriod injection on L5-S1 on Friday and I don't think it helped at all. Doc thinks that the next option is PLIF. I am *very* curious as to why you chose that route and to follow your recovery.

One Love,

• Sounds like your right on schedule! at 2 1/2 weeks post I was doing and feeling like you are, I was shakey and had hip soreness so that's pretty normal, so glad your feeling that great!!!!!!!

• I'm glad to hear you are doing better!

I'll be watching closely - my PLIF is coming up in 8 days.

I wonder if I hurt enough now to go through with it. If I weren't getting so much worse everyday I think I would for sure chicken out.
  • Stephanie-I chose this route because the doctors had already exhausted every other possible means. I had a discogram and the doctor that performed that told me that there was no point trying the IDET as he figured it would be a waste of time. He sent me straight back to my same surgeon who had already done my cervical fusion in September last year.

Cherry-Did you also have the hip pain when you walked for any length of time? I just walk down the end of my street and my hips start aching, by the time I get back home I already had to stop once or twice to give myself a break.

Saltzworks-If youre in immense pain everyday and it interfers with your daily life then by all means go through with the surgery. Yes, It is painful for the first 10 days give or take a couple but it gets better with each passing day. The pain I had pre-op in the middle of my back is now gone and it was really bad. Crossing my fingers that it doesnt come back :)

Christina :)