Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

MRI neck they say is fine

LotsofpainLLotsofpain Posts: 4
edited 08/16/2015 - 5:31 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I have been to neuro several times now...he tells me there is nothing wrong.
I had an EMG test on my NECK, but not arms as well. Which came up ok.

My symptoms are: left shoulder blade continuous bad pain. Pain travels down arm. Numbness/tingling into fingers. Hand shakes while trying to grip items. Weakness in whole arm. Pain increases while sitting more than a few minutes. Occasional spasms in upper arm. Basically always in pain, even with pain meds.

Does anyone think there is anything in my MRI result that could possibly be giving me the above symptoms? I need to get back to work ASAP. I have been denied short-term disability due to doctors not coming up with a prognosis and treatment plan. Any advise or opinion will be appreciated.

MRI of the cervical spine without intravenous contrast.

History cervical radiculitis.

Examination was performed on 1.5 Tesla magnet. Compared with the prior study from 5/15/15.

There is a straightening of the usual cervical lordosis probably due to muscle spasm.
Cerebellar tonsils are normally positioned. There are stable postsurgical changes at C5-6 level
with discectomy and anterior fusion.

At C2-3 level there is tiny central desiccation of the disc. There is no spinal stenosis or
nerve root compression.

At C3-4 level there is minimal bulging of the disc. There is no focal disc herniation spinal
stenosis or nerve root compression.

At C4-5 level disc is decreased in height and T2 signal. There is bulging of the disc and done
tiny left paramedian herniation mildly compressing the anterior left aspect of the spinal cord.
There is obliteration of the anterior subarachnoid space and mild flattening of the cord.
There is no focal signal abnormalities within the cord.

At the C5-6 level there are stable postsurgical changes with discectomy and anterior fusion.
There is no residual or recurrent disc herniation. There is a narrowing of the C6 neuroforamina
bilaterally more prominent on the left. There is possible compression of the left C6 nerve

At C67 level there is mild bulging of the disc. There is no focal disc herniation spinal
stenosis or nerve root compression.

C7-T1 disc is unremarkable.

There is no focal signal abnormalities within the cord.

Conclusions: Abnormal cervical curvature probably due to muscle spasm. Postsurgical changes
with anterior fusion and discectomy at C5-6 level. Tiny central herniation of the C2-3 disc
.Small left paramedian herniation of the C4-5 disc, mildly compressing the spinal cord.
Narrowing of the C6 neural foramina bilaterally with possible compression of the left C6 nerve
root. No focal signal abnormalities within the cord. No significant interval change.

No on one the Spine-Health patient forums is medically qualified to provide any advice or
or recommendations on any diagnostic test. However, the following key words can always be applied.

• MILD Treated with conservative measures such as Physical Therapy and mild medications. Many times these situations can be cleared up and the condition can be resolved.
    MODERATE Some more treatments may be needed, ie Spinal Injections, Ultra sound and stronger medications. Always a possibility of more aggressive treatment if the conservative measures don't help
    SEVERE Need for stronger medications. The requirement for surgery may be necessary

Liz . Spine-health Moderator

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,862
    edited 08/16/2015 - 8:34 AM
    no one on the forum side of this side can provide any type of formal analysis of any diagnostic report.

That information needs to come from your doctor.

We do read from time to time about patients who have pain, go for all sorts of diagnostic tests and all of them come back negative, basically, no trouble found.... But still in pain...

What are your options??

You could see another doctor, assuming your insurance will cover that. Another pair of eyes looking at all of your diagnostic tests to see if everyone agrees. When everyone agrees, then there is pretty sound medical reasons why your spine is probably not the cause of your pain.

Still dont give up, when things like this happen, people many times get blood work checking for Rheumatoid Arthritis. If it was Osteoarthritis, at this point in your doctor visits, that should have been identified.

There does come a point when every imaginable test was done and still nothing , then you have to look into other areas.

One possibility is the emotional side of pain. Stress and emotions can cause real pain, but its harder to physically diagnose that. Working with trained pain counselors have helped main people.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • itsautonomicitsautonomic LouisianaPosts: 1,807
    Mild compression is still compression in spinal cord ( unless this is not the actual cord and thecal sac that's being compressed) This MRI was done laying down I assume and gravity not in action . Many stories of mild actually being moderate in many different types of spine issues once dr got in for surgury.
    I see you had surgury, did the symptoms you describe come on after or before surgury? I just ask because wanted to know if it did come on after surgury was a pain syndrome looked into?
    Do your due dilegence, trust you know your body and question everything if it does not fit. Advocate for yourself and you will be suprised what will be revealed trusting your body and instinct.