Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hi I'm new to board

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in New Member Introductions
My name is Brenda and I live in California. I have had numb hands for the past 7 months and recently have had a weak right leg that makes it difficult to walk.

I had carpel tunnel surgery on both hands in 2006. At first I thought the carpel tunnel was returning. My primary care doctor sent me to an ortho doc to check on the carpel tunnel. An EMG was done and the neurologist said I have no nerve damage in my hands and it wasn't carpel tunnel, more likely something more central like my neck.

I showed the neurologist an MRI I had done in 2005 for a pinched nerve in C3-4. He said that was likely the problem with my numb hands. So, he ordered a new MRI which was done last week. I had my apt with the neurologist on July 11 and he said the C3-4 has a bulging disc extrusion severely compressing the spinal cord. Also some mild stenosis in C4-5 and C5-6.

I told the neurologist I had a new symptom in the past three weeks. My right leg feels weak particularly when I first get up in the morning. I walk slowly with a limp and have discomfort but no pain.

The neurologist says he wants me to see a neurosurgeon next week and be in surgery within the week. The procedure is for disc removal. I will know more after I see the neurosurgeon.

When I had a pinched nerve in 2005 the MRI indicated the C3-4 disc extrusion compressing the spinal cord. I felt pain down my shoulder and arm. With physical therapy it resolved itself in a couple of months. This time I don't feel any pain, just numbness in both hands and now the right leg weakness. My fingertips feel particularly numb.

Anyone else with these symptoms? And had surgery?

Glad I found this board. I'm learning so much from all that you are sharing.

• Hello Brenda and welcome to Spine-Health forum. I'm sorry for your pains I hope you find answers when you see your Neurosurgeon. I'm sorry I'm a lumbar spiney but I'm sure others will be here giving you their experiences and help. You sure came to the right place.
    Please keep posting and let's know what you find out.

Lotus :)
  • welcome to SH. look around and you will find many different forums for different types of questions and conversation, we're all in this togehter.
  • Glad you found the site. My leg pain is usually in direct porportion to my foot numbness.

There are plenty here w/your symptoms. You might wanna check out the cervical/neck pain forum. Good luck
  • :) hi and welcome to the forum! we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i am a California girl as well. i hope you are not near the wild fires! perhaps a second opinion will see things differently. no pt or other conservative measures before surgery? no current mri? maybe this neurosurgeon has jumped the gun without adequate paperwork and the new one will want to wait awhile. good luck and i hope this can be done without surgery! see you around the forum! Jenny :)
  • lulusheart-
    I'm not anywhere near the wild fires, thankfully. However, my daughter who suffers from asthma will be returning to Cal State Chico in a few weeks and the air quality is pretty smokey right now. She will be staying indoors for awhile.

Thanks for your suggestion of getting a second opinion.
    Actually, I did have a new MRI about a week ago. The new MRI indicated "There has been an increase in size of a large paracentral disk extrusion at C3-4 level extending both cephaled and caudal from the disk space. This contributes to severe spinal stenosis and cord compression, both increased in severity from the prior MRI."

I believe the neurologist is recommending surgery because of my 24/7 numb hands for the past seven months and the fact that I can barely walk with the weakness in my right leg. He is concerned that I might fall and injure my spinal cord permanently.

I will see a neurosurgeon this week. Does that count as a second opinion?
    I have a zillion questions to ask the neurosurgeon. I will post again after I see the ns.
  • :) hi! this seeems to be pretty serious if your spinal cord is involved. there is no room for error. continue to do your homework and have those questions ready. if he doesn't have ALL the answers find one who does. you seem to be on top of your game! good luck again! Jenny :)