Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Anyone go thru Anterior Hip Replacement

I don't see any comments about hip replacements here. So before I post all my issues, I'll ask first if anyone has been thru this type hip replacement....thanks
Bodywide OA, Fibro and complications from Hip Replacement.

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,833
    edited 08/16/2015 - 10:17 AM
    There are dozens of people with hip replacements here and many threads/posts discussing them. But honestly, I think of the many people who have posted here or I have discussed it with all had the posterior approach.

But if you want to know more about hip replacements, etc, visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/

You will find that most people that have opted for anterior hip replacements selected that because it is considered less invasive, much less muscle cutting and shorter, less painful recovery periods than the more common posterior method.

But I think you will learn that the most significant aspect of any hip replacement, is the final results in terms of leg length. The skilled surgeon must constantly be aware of this during the surgery. I know when I had my down, the surgeon stopped several times to take precise measurements. Off by just a fraction, and you could be dealing with hip replacement complications for a long time.

At the rehab center I have been going to since 2006, the therapists have all told me that 80% if all hip replacement problems stem from leg lengths not matching. It throws the body totally off balance, can result in the knock knee look and may also require shoe lifts to attempt to compensate for the problem.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • recommended but now 5 yrs later I believe he was in a hurry, Friday afternoon, and did a sloppy job on me. I've read other reviews on his work too from others not happy with their outcomes.... I been thru so much "trying" to walk better in the last almost 5 yrs... Knee is messed up, foot/ankle from the knee mess. So.....

PS: It was almost a breeze for me coming home, no one here to help, I was on my own from hospital to home and I did good....but WHAM...
  • and then dealing with negative outcomes:

Shorter Leg
    Femoral Nerve Damage (whole thigh is numb)
    IT Band Damage (numb down side of leg)
    Spinal Stenosis
    Bowed Leg

Only improvement: No groin pain. I walked better 5 months post op, going on 5 yrs post op soon.

So the shorter leg is a huge issue for these replacements.