Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Discogram in 2 days

holmessrhholmessr Posts: 5
edited 08/17/2015 - 1:35 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi I'm having a discogram done in 2 days! I had one done in 2003 on 3 levels & was told all three were positive so they are doing 4 levels this time. The last time I could barely walk for a month after & the dr said it was bc my back was so bad. Apparently they could barely do any pressure in the test. I am scared to death at this point bc the NS said if 3 levels are still bad he will not be able to do fusion. I am 43 years old & have had 3 back surgeries one for bone spur then fell on ice & ruptured disc. Then a week later had a spinal fluid leak so they had to repair. I also have a spinal cord stimulator implanted. The pain is at the point that I do not have a life. I have been on short term disability & FMLA for 2 mos through my work & my time is running out. I have to get this fixed. I have one level that is none on bone & stenosis of the nerve canal according to myelgram. I just want my life back! I have had so many expensive injections, burning of nerves, tests, diagnostic tests. All very expensive even with insurance. I am a single mom & thankfully my youngest is 17 but I have to get some relief. I take OxyContin 40 mg bid & Percocet 10 mg up to 5 per day. Plus use my stimulator. The pain is horrid when I am working. While I've been home resting it has been bearable but as soon as I do anything such as go to grocery store I am down for the count for a couple of days. I can't even twist enough to clean myself after going to the bathroom. (Sorry to be so blunt). Chronic pain is horrible & I wouldn't wish it on anyone. I am really praying this test shows only 2 bad so they can actually fix me. I need to get back to work within a month to ensure my job is secure according to OK FMLA laws. I see the surgeon a week after my discogram. I was told the dr that's doing this uses no sedation. I am praying they at least give some pain relief after the test is done while in recovery. Like I said last time I couldn't even get out of the recliner they put me in & was unable to walk without assistance for a month. Please pray for me!

Welcome to Spine-Health
Please click on link for helpful information!
~ spine-health moderator, savage
Sheila Holmes

• I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing pain. I did say a little prayer for you.

I imagine life is hard being a single mother and dealing with these issues. My only child is much younger than your youngest. He is turning 1 year old next month and will be celebrating with a Micky Mouse themed party. He is the light of my life, and I rely so much on the fortitude and strength of my wife to help me be a father to him.

I feel guilty, because she does not have the back issues I experience, and she is the one who always lifts him wherever we go. I wish I could share in that responsibility. I do have a trick to get him up into my lap, though. I stick the crook of my foot under his behind (between his legs), and I can raise my leg to help plop him into my lap. Before he could walk so much, I used to roll him across the carpet sometimes. I've also put him in my lap and scooted my own behind across the carpet to get around.

I imagine that you have other types of tricks or ways of coping as a mother with spine issues. Maybe your children even help. One day when I was crying from spine pain and depression, my little boy gave me a bunch of hugs to try to comfort me. He's going to grow up to have a huge heart for people, I know.
  • I had my discogram done today & the doc said I have 4 positives. At one level he had to keep moving the needle around bc he couldn't get it through some bone fragments & another level he couldn't get into the space at all. I don't know what to do since my NS said he couldn't help me if I had 3 bad levels & I ended up with 4 bad levels. At 43 I am lost. I see the NS for the official results next week. Any advice from anyone going through 4 bad level discogram a?
    Sheila Holmes
  • holmessrhholmessr Posts: 5
    edited 08/18/2015 - 3:25 PM
    I'm sio sorry u have trouble enjoying ur 1 yr old. I understand as I have had this for 23 yrs & it's just becoming worse over the years. Now I'm not sure my NS feels comfortable fusing me at so many levels so not sure what my next step will be. I know I need to get back to work soon. Thanks for the prayers today;)
    Sheila Holmes
  • GrtpyrlvrGGrtpyrlvr Posts: 6
    edited 09/01/2015 - 10:51 PM
    I feel for you.... Had a discogram done on the 9th and had positive results in L1-s1. Did you have a lot more pain following your procedure? Since I had mine it's as if all my regular pain has been intensified? I also have new pain occurring that had not prior to the procedure?

Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!
    ~ spine-health moderator, savage
    Discogram done 8/2015 showed (L2-l3 left lateral annular tear, L3-l4 mild to moderate annular degeneration, L4-l5 posterior lateral annular tear on left, l5-s1 moderate annular degeneration
    2 failed epidurals facet injections, PT for a year

L4-5 S1 laminectomy and discetomy Feb 10th 2016
  • Hi Grtpyrlvr. I believe your question is addressed to the Original Poster, holmessr.

On that topic, holmessr, did you see your neurosurgeon for the official results? I was just wondering if there is anymore news to report.