Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New source of pain

i have had thoracic pain for years -in the form of severe muscle spasms. 4 months ago my pain started getting worse and the Gabapentin stopped helping. 2 weeks ago I started having neck pain on the right side that goes down my shoulder & part of my arm. This has seemed to intensify my thoracic pain that was exclusively below the shoulder blades now I also have burning pain above my shoulder blades. This pain is so severe I cannot even take a step. Thank you

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,877
    edited 08/16/2015 - 2:24 PM
    If so, what have been the results.

Thoracic pain, depending on which thoracic discs are involved, can create shoulder/neck pain as well in the thoracic area. The thoracic area is a very difficult part of the spine. Since it is attached to the rib cage, thoughts are that they are the toughest discs to herniated. There may be some truth in that, but I also understand that when they do herniated, they are very difficult to treat.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • katie77kkatie77 Posts: 16
    edited 08/16/2015 - 3:40 PM
    I am losing my life to this pain . The MRI's in the past only show bulging discs. If this recent MRI shows the same I will push until they have an answer. I have to work, I have to go to school, I have to find a solution.
    Thank you.
    We need to identify what the exact problem is.

This can be the frustrating part. Waiting until..

Once there I a formal concrete diagnosis, the doctors can start working on the solution.

Many times in various situations, seemingly thoracic problems can be cervical or shoulder related. There are many different possibilies.
    When they did identify bulging discs, at what levels did they tell you?

Don't give up. Get ready for work, get ready for school. These are the portent parts of your life right now

I don't want to miniseries your pain or discomfort, but try everything you know on how to maintain a positive outlook on all of this. Maintains a win approach to all of this can be one of your strongest friends
  • My buldgiing disc is at T7. No one had any answers so far. All of the suggestions are from MY research. Chiropractors, physical therapists, pain management doctors, osteopaths no answers. I just had my 3rd MRI if my thoracic. If there are no answers again I will push for a cervical MRI. I am also going to start deep tissue massage ( out of pocket). I am going to follow your lead on this. I am so glad it resolved your thoracic issues maybe it will be my savior. Thank you

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,476
    Did you have other testing, or MRI only?
    My pain management doctor did EMG on me and it was very revealing as to areas effected, and doctor able to treat me accordingly.
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• A few weeks back I asked my doctor to do an EMG and he said "it is not for back pain". Of course latest MRI revealed nothing. I just don't understand how I can be in this much pain & no answers.
    Thank You
    Yes, EMGs are diagnostic tests that look for nerve problems/damage.

Look at this article EMG
  • I understand that EMG's are not for back pain but I now have tingling in fingers and muscle twitching in my hands. True the EMG may not show anything but my thought is why not do the test? It could not hurt. My next step is to try the deep tissue massage that worked for Ron. Thank you
    edited 08/17/2015 - 11:09 AM
    Please remember that the deep/soft tissue massage did work for me. But it took 6 months of weekly, very painful sessions. The only way I got to see this massage master was from a prescription from my doctor. I didnt actual need the prescription, but it was by referral only.

When I say painful, I mean real painful I've had close to 15 surgeries in my life and none of them came close to the pain I felt during those massage sessions. But it was necessary, it was the only option I had left. It worked for me, but that does not mean it would help you. You need to get to the bottom of what is causing all of this pain. Only then can treatments start to become more effective.

One of the problems about doctors doing diagnostic tests is that the insurance companies need to approve them all. So, in order for you to get the EMG test, your doctor needs to provide your insurance company with the rationale of why you need it.

Your recent post about your hand and finger situation, now overall that does not sound thoracic related. But if you were to look at the spinal column and dermatome maps, those affected areas seem to point back to cervical issues.

I am sure you are totally frustrated by all of this. Not know what is going on is only going to create stress and stress can really play total havoc with our bodies. I dont have any answer for you, wish there was an easy one.
  • I have been in so much pain for so many years I am not afraid of pain from treatment. I am always hopeful and optimistic and then of course shocked when it doesn't help . I actually remember having muscle spasms in elementary school. I would get them a few times a year & they would go away. Maybe it was from a fall or from my minor scoliosis. Unfortunately now they are constant & this added pain is just too much. The good news is my doctor called today and is going to do an EMG. How did you figure out it was your Rhomboid muscle before you began massage? If I do go that route I know it may not help but honestly there is nothing else to try. Thank you
    we did not know it was the deep inner rhomboid muscle.

We did know that months and months of both physical and aqua therapy did not help my thoracic situation. Acupuncture helped but only for short periods of time.

When I first when to meet with the Thai master, he had me walk, bend, sit, etc. Then a few minutes working on my back, he knew that it was the rhomboid muscle. More exactly, it was the major rhomboid. Physical therapists worked on the minor rhomboid, but that was not enough. I had been going to the same physical therapist for almost 7 years up to that point (2007) and she freely admitted that there was nothing she could do to penetrate down deep enough. It was an area that therapists are really not trained in.
  • TreehuggerdorkTTreehuggerdork Posts: 1
    edited 08/20/2015 - 5:28 AM
    Had work injury three years ago. Started as back, neck froze and had c5/6 fusion. Several other docs day unsuccessful. Surgeon won't admit. Now always in severe pain and 3/4 going out, developing ataxia and they don't and won't look at back. Court coming to get included. Had own mri to find ruptured l5s1 . I can't take perc anymore due to liver. Been on 6 15s a day and it legitimately works. Last week asked doc for something for breakthrough. They've tried morphine, dilaud no effect. But Last week without my knowledge to meds handed doc dropped me to 10 mg with tramadol. I'm all for trying to come off. But to much wrong. The 10s are like a sugar pill but the 15s help. Going back tomorrow and so afraid to ask. But it's killing me. Would rather have @5s than tramadol. Biggest issue. Till court they won't treat my whole spine. The ataxia makes loss balance erc, radiculapathy all left side. Nobody can do pt with me cause they make me worse. Urine tested last month and mda showed up. I take adderL. Well turns out it was a lab clinical error. But fear of looking like seeker. I've had to go to hospital twice due to back. How do I approach doc when I can feel in there eyes I'm a seeker. Went [edit] addictionologist for him. And even they said it was waste of time. If someone can help please. Haven't slept in two nights due to pain. I can't take much more

Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!
    ~ spine-health moderator, savage