Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

4 days post L5 / S1 Fusion and feeling absolutely fantastic!!

Hi folks, I have not posted on here in many months and last time I posted it was about being concerned and worried about having to go for a Lumbar fusion after having an unsuccessful lumbar discetemy last year.

I am now 4 days post L5 / S1 Lumbar fusion and i cannot describe how fantastic I feel already. I am hoping it is not the calm before the storm as I am feeling 10 times better now than I did the week after my microdiscetemy last year in terms of my energy and pain levels, ability to walk and do my rehab and physio on a daily basis.

I still have 26 surgical stables in my back holding the incision closed and these will be coming out within the next 10 days. I cannot bend my back yet and won`t be able for approx another month but my lower back in general feels immensely strong already with the pedicle screws and rods holding everything firm and in place. It`s a fantastic feeling overall in comparison with how weak my lower back has felt over the last few years.

My biggest concern going for this operation was that the metal work being placed in my back was going to feel heavy on a daily basis, and that I was going to constantly have the sensation or feeling of something sticking into my back , and that I would be constantly aware and feel the screws and rods in my spine...but now that I have them there, I can honestly say that I do not feel them at all. My lower back feels stiff and rigid as I have yet to begin any proper stretching and bending of my lower back for another month but as per feeling the hardware in my spine.... I`m just not aware of it which is a fantastic feeling.

I suppose the reason for the post is to give others courage and peace of mind who are considering this surgery. There is a lot of people on here with serious spinal issues and a lot of stories of unsuccessful surgeries or procedures and i am not taking away from them at all but i figured it would also be nice to share my positive experience for a balance.

Now, obviously everybody recovers differently off this procedure and it`s down to the individual as to how much work they put into their rehabilitation as well as their underlying health, age and sex as to what kind of recovery they make, but I am just sharing mine.

This post is not for the purpose of trying to convince others to have this procedure or steer them in the direction of surgery if it`s something they are contemplating but merely to balance the forum and share my positive experience so far......

Hopefully the next few weeks and months will stay as good for me and I will recover successfully and fully...

I`ll keep the post updated.

Kind Wishes