Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Anything to offer for Stiff Knee

My right knee started to bother me 20 yrs ago at age 57 and now at 77, it's so advanced with OA. Mostly now due to hip replacement and shorter leg outcome. It took a while to realize the shorter leg and by then the body was so OFF alignment. Including knee and foot and ankle.

I'm not interested in steroid injections, they can help for a short time if they even work but do bone damage overall.

I'm looking for any otc help someone may use or know of. I use some stuff but don't know everything for sure.

Thanks in advance.
Bodywide OA, Fibro and complications from Hip Replacement.

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,868
    OTC ointments that help with arthritis in joints. Most of them work in providing some type of quick pain relief. Many of them are capsaicin based.

The best one, however, is a prescription medication.... Voltaren Gel. I've been using it for years on any joint that has inflammation.
    It has helped more than anything I know when it comes to reducing the inflammation associated with arthritis.

Have your recent X-rays indicated if you are at the bone on bone situation with your knee joint?
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • it's crepitus and it started 20 yrs ago. My knee bends good and I know there is cartlidge there. No pain when I sit and sleep but the walking... Doctors will want to do surgery. My hip was enough to last me the rest of my life. I am still thinking PRP injections, if only I had more savings left. Would love to find something to reduce pain and keep me walking better. I wear knee supports and one is magnetic. Maybe I need to go back to acupuncture for a while.
  • caroline2caroline2 Posts: 92
    edited 08/17/2015 - 5:32 PM
    health group and gluten has been discussed a lot. One member believes eliminating gluten can help everyone's health...whether one goes for tests or not. Wheat and all the grains are loaded with gluten. So many wheats loaded with molds too.

One friend said, once she eliminated all gluten her shoulder arthritis is gone. I have eliminated gluten a lot but I think I could work on that more.....
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,476
    ...shorter leg.
    Have you tried shoes that could accommodate for shorter leg to make them even as you walk?
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• but haven't gone to a custom shoe worker on this issue. Thanks
  • The first knee doctor I saw was 20 yrs ago, his practice is Sports Medicine and Preventive Medicine and he's still seeing patients. And he takes Medicare...So soon, I will go see him for his opinion on my knee. He's not the normal conventional MD as he's gone the extra miles in prevention. I haven't seen a knee doctor in probably close to 10 yrs. And he could have some insights into the surgery botch I've been through... femoral nerve damage and IT band damage which both affect my knee.
  • caroline2caroline2 Posts: 92
    edited 08/21/2015 - 8:29 AM
    Used for the first time a chinese oil called Po Sum On on knee and lower back (mixed some in my other topical) and brush on lower back with toothbrush. I use a toothbrush for areas I can't reach. I could walk with more ease at 5:30AM when I first woke up at 6 hr sleep. We'll see if it continues...I will be buying more Po Sum On via amazon. Folks report they get it thru their acupuncture clinics or at a chinatown store. I buy mine online.

Before you try any supplement, herb, over the counter item, exercise program, mechanical aid, brace, etc always consult with your doctor to make sure you get their approval.
    Some of these products may be very effective, but no two individuals or medical conditions are alike. What works for one, may cause trouble for another..

Ron DiLauro, Spine-Health System Moderator

Forum Rule violated:
    4.03 You are not allowed to post advertisements or commercial solicitations, whether in the form of text links, banners or other methods.

• So I was reading all these posts and as I see That you are  avoiding the most important point (1) you have not seen a real doctor in almost 10 years,  (2) you know you have one leg that is shorter than the other that is putting a lot of wear and tear on the shorter leg and all the moving parts in that leg,(3)  you are looking for a quick fix for a problem that needs professional help, (4) go see a professional orthopedic surgeon ,have the problems surgically repaired and stop looking for a fix in a tube or a bottle. fix the problem instead of looking for a fix to the symptoms. the symptoms will not go away until you fix the problem. pain is the first sign something is wrong. you know what is wrong have it fixed and move on with life. If the dr. you want does not take the insurance you have find a doctor that takes your insurance. the longer you wait the worse the symptoms will get because the more damage YOU are causing by WAITING best of luck to you. I am NOT a dr. just a person who has suffered with  pain all my life.

This discussion has been closed.