Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

writing a paper on chronic pain

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Chronic Pain
i would appreciate any help you guys can give me i am writing a paper and need some info. i know there are books out there but what i am looking for is how negative doctors and people are about chronic pain. so if anyone comes across magazine, newspaper articles or books please let me know. I may not beable to change the worlds mind but maybe i can change the minds of the 20 other students in my class and let them know that just because it cant be seen doesnt mean that pain is not there. i too get tired of people being rude to me just because they are clueless. thanxs for you time and yes feel free to PM me

• :) hi! good luck on your paper. changing 20 minds will be difficult at best. i imagine you are a vibrant, curious student where looks can be deceiving! you have your work cut out for you but you seem up for the challenge. all i have to offer is my support and i give you that wholeheartedly. good luck and keep us posted! Jenny :)
  • This isn't really what you were looking for, but this letter lays it all out on the line. The original version was by Bek somebody, but has been modified.

This is a website with some interesting stories and articles; again, I don't know if it will help you, but here goes anyways!

Good luck with your paper!

• E Goffman wrote a book called Stigma a fascinating insight into our desire to hide how we feel and the pressures involved in elucidating to our condition, he use’s example of others to highlight his points

It is a finite line between telling people your condition and becoming obsessed with it, the notion that we could educate anyone does come under the notion and perception of disability itself and although we have made progress it will never be accepted other than through direct experience the specific difficulties that we endure. We are not alone in finding acceptance frustrating and many other ailments have associated misconceptions that does a disservice to the effort needed to continue forward.

The children at this school experienced a teaching lesson where the sigh and hearing was restricted and gave subsequent evidence to how it feels and the practical difficulty of daily activities.

As spine patient we are the educators to the unknowledgable view, we continue with vigour to attain normal goals and to some extent make this transition seem effortless, an element of individuals are unreceptive to our condition and limitation s as we ourselves may have been prior to our current status.

I acknowledge you endeavour in attempting to change the perception of individuals and this is something as a sector we have great insight and done in the correct mode that education to other will benefit us all.

At our residential PM we looked at way we introduce ourselves and the physicality we portray, and you are finding telling every individual can be frustrating and not in relationship to how they perceive our mode and how we should look or conform. This was an opportunity to be assertive, in a nice way, and more reflective of how others feel than we ourselves receive. Disability and the word itself portray limitation and my disabled son is also familiar with the ignorant views and behaviour of others.

• That sounds like a great book, John. I'm going to see if our library has it; thanks for mentioning it.

Lisa, if it's in the scope of your paper, I'd address how chronic pain affects personal relationships, such as between spouses.
  • I fully agree with John. It will be an extremely difficult challenge, and I would not expect it to be successful, sorry to say.
    Only when you have experienced something can you have proper empathy for it.
    If someone has never experienced chronic pain, they would only be able to relate in terms of the minor pains that we all experience, that come and go quickly.
    To have pain for months or years on end, with the gradual erosion of your life, is something quite different.
    I wish you well-perhaps you will make a significant contribution.
    In my case, I have had many bad back pain experiences, completely immobilised initially then gradually getting better over a day or so. Any movement brought excruciating pain. Going to the toilet and getting the muscles to relax was a nightmare, but just had to be endured.
    Anyway, last year my wife experienced a very similar thing with her back, and after that she said that until then she had had no idea what I had been going through. And she is a nurse. So even though it was obvious I was in awful pain, the actual effect of it was not conveyed, and she had to go through it to understand.
    I feel that this is what you will be up against.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,839
    Lisa, that sounds like a great project to work on. There is no question that people who have never been in chronic pain are clueless to what it is and how much of an impact it can have on your life.

So many people say you can not see Chronic Pain.
    I disagree with that statement for one reason.

All you need to do is look into the eyes of someone who is suffering from chronic pain and you can see the pain and suffering that person is going through.

The eyes never lie!
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Peter,
    You are so right about the not having sympathy if you haven't dealt with the pain before. That got me thinking. I saw once that someone had invented a "sympathy belt" that a non-pregnant person, predumably the father could wear that would simulate the aches and strains of bachache and ligament strain, etc... some kind of funky device. Don't you think it would be interesting if all pain fellows would have to wear some contraption for months at a time, just to give them an inkling of an idea of what it's like. I know it isn't exactly "chronic" but still...I have a hard time thinking that any pain doc could be as effective as someone who had experienced chronic pain. Obviouly this isn't a thought for reality...just my own mental ramblings....
  • Would you be interested in a health care worker/chronic pain sufferer's perception of chronic pain? Perhaps if you compile the stories of many individuals, you may find something of use to you there?---Tracy
  • Ron I agree 100% that the eyes never lie! That's the key to seeing or showing Chronic Pain!

• I think you will do a fine paper, you have to engage the audiences attention first, make them feel the oppressive yoke of desperation, the heavy weight of pain on the human spirit, the cost to the peace of mind.
    Emotions have a place in some writings, but tryin to elicit a certain reaction from an audience,is tricky, so just tell the truth,
    Tell them nights spent wondering if getting up in the mornig will be worth the effort, of the gut check when the alarm rings,and having to decide, yes..today i will try to do my best..but knowing deep in the heart of hearts it wont be enough, that your best effort wont be up to what you could do before,and every day,its taking a greater toll.
    Tell them that bent body doesnt mean a diminished mind, only a greater sensitivity,because the person knows where they came from,and watched helplessly as the body burned down
    Tell them of the inner light dying each day, of the evil whisper telling me..I cant..its to much..and throwing your self mercellesly to the wall every day,and watching your efforts failing,tell them of desperation,of defeat,of the mind giving way to body unwillingly.a rape of the spirit of a perfectly good person,and of the wreckage of the soul thats left.
    Tell them of the light in a persons eye,when down on their knees in pain
    Tell them of the fire inside,pure will ...driving them to their feet
    Tell them of the dignity of the human spirit,when its down..but not beaten..ever
    Tell them of the courage of the spirit,to go forth into the world,
    and of trying to keep up..and failing..but
    Never giving up
    or giving in
    Tell the truth
    outside I am bent..,
    Inside..I am never broken
    I hope these humble ideas give some thread of thought to work with.
    William Garza
    Spine-Health Mod

Welcome to Spine-Health

• I have thought of this too, as while you don't want to always be harping on about your pain, it would be good to have a simple sign this lets others know why you are quiet or not eating or lying down-and so on.
    When I am bad I don't want to talk about it, just go to bed.
    When it is REALLY bad I will say so and trot off to bed.

So I'm making a point now of telling others if it's a bad day, rather than let them expect more than I can give, or think I'm just in a mood.
    Seems to be working.
  • the paper i have to write is an argumentive paper and that means two sides of the stories, so trying to find what docs have to say right now is an obsticle but somehow and somewhere there has to be something that a doc has said negatively when i come across that then i can argue his points of view on chronic pain with the points of view from all of us. just so all you know i have been in pain for the past 14 yrs, i have had 3 lower lumbar surgeries on l5-s1, and 2 on l4-5 and now the scar tissue, well, dealing and doing what i can to elevate it.once again thanxs to all and feel free to keep responding
  • ill be honest while reading your thoughts it gave me goose bumps and made me remember the horrible ordeals i went through each and every day i had to go to work and just about cried and wondered how i ever got thru them. i have made a copy of this and thank you once again for your input :)
This discussion has been closed.